Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

hello I'm new ...'85 300d questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Default hello I'm new ...'85 300d questions.

hello

I'm new to the forum and last week became the proud and happy owner of a pristine 1985 300d.

I'm currently a student studying mechanical engineering at northern Virginia community college and will be finishing my degree at Virginia Tech.

I hope to go into the automotive industry with an emphasis on alternative fuels.

now about the car.

it's VERY clean no rust and only has 160k mi on it. I know that's a lot for an ordinary car but I understand these things can be found in million mile clubs

what are some basic tips you guys would have, to ensure that I can drive it for the next 10..15 maybe even 20 years?

what are good sources for parts?

how easy is it to work on? seeing as I'll be looking to do most of the work myself.

now here's the big question.

how do I do this to it? and what precautions would I need to take?

YouTube - ‪Top Gear - Vegetable oil for your volvo diesel - BBC‬‏

thanks a lot for any advice you might have

sincerely-Vince

Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by 3rdvincetheman
hello

I'm new to the forum and last week became the proud and happy owner of a pristine 1985 300d.

I'm currently a student studying mechanical engineering at northern Virginia community college and will be finishing my degree at Virginia Tech.

I hope to go into the automotive industry with an emphasis on alternative fuels.

now about the car.

it's VERY clean no rust and only has 160k mi on it. I know that's a lot for an ordinary car but I understand these things can be found in million mile clubs

what are some basic tips you guys would have, to ensure that I can drive it for the next 10..15 maybe even 20 years?

what are good sources for parts?

how easy is it to work on? seeing as I'll be looking to do most of the work myself.

now here's the big question.

how do I do this to it? and what precautions would I need to take?

YouTube - ‪Top Gear - Vegetable oil for your volvo diesel - BBC‬‏

thanks a lot for any advice you might have

sincerely-Vince
The BIG question is a little bit of a problem. The video states that no modifications need to be done to the car. That is not true. Most users of vegi oil systems are of the two tank variety with some sort of vegi fuel heater in the system. From my understanding, you start your engine with regular commercial diesel from one tank, and once the engine is up to temp, you switch over to warmed vegi oil. I have never run vegi oil, but there are some Benz owners who say its no problem if you do it right. Since you mentioned long term usage, again, from what I read on different forums, using veggi oil can cause the piston rings to foul which is not a good thing. I am sure you will receive more responses both pro and con, but that video is not telling the whole story. Good luck with your "new" car!!!

Old 07-05-2011, 12:20 PM

that's good to know. what If I blended half and half in one tank?

Old 07-05-2011, 10:42 PM

that's good to know. but what about the people on the news you see driving around on Veg oil? what does it do to your engine that's so bad? just want to know cause I'm trying to learn more. would anyone know offhand if I could do the fuel conversion myself (veg to bio)?

thanks-Vince

Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 PM

that shouldn't be a problem. I live out in the country and I deal with harmful chemicals almost on a daily basis.

I honestly had no idea there was that much glycerine in veg.

so let's say I invest in a processor an make my own fuel.

anything that needs to be done to the car as a precaution?
I heard biodiesel can loosen gunk in the fuel tank and if you don't pre install the necessary filters you'll end up with a big mess.

what are we talking for all this if I were to do it right?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 PM

know of any good websites?

you mentioned biodiesel.org

any others?