Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

This is FRUSTRATING

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Default This is FRUSTRATING

Hi,

So, I just finished installing my Greasecar kit on my 1987 300D. For the time being, I decided that I would drive it around on diesel to make sure that the connections are okay. The plumbing goes: DIESELTANK -> DIESELFILTER -> SOLENOID VALVE -> BOSCH FUEL PUMP -> IP. After I got everything hooked up, I tried firing the car up. It would not turn over. It sounds like it is getting some fuel, as it will do miniturnovers, and if I am lucky, I can get it to rev up with my foot on the accelerator. However, it will never idle (except once, when it idled for about ten seconds).

In the stock setup, the sequence was: DIESELTANK -> BOSCH FUEL PUMP -> DIESEL FILTER -> IP. The hoses that went between the pump and the filter and the IP were kind of transparent, and they seemed to be "vaccumed on" (there were no hose clamps). Could it possibly be that the fuel pump doesn't like to pull fuel through the diesel filter, but rather, it is used to pushing it through?

Initially I installed standard fuel line hose to the IP. Air seemed to be the problem, so I replaced it with "fuel injection" black fuel hose with a slightly smaller diameter. Still nothing. On the other side of the fuel pump, I have standard fuel hose. Should I get "injection hose" for that side too? The hose clamps are real tight everywhere, and this problem is getting increasingly frustrating. My battery is sure to run out soon due to all the cranking.

One last question. IS the IP supposed to create negative pressure, or "suck" at all? Or is the fuel pump supposed to provide enough positive pressure to feed the IP?

Please help, I'm a newb! Thanks!

Old 05-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Default RE: This is FRUSTRATING

There is a 'lift' pump prior to the ip.
I have my setup sucking thru either a diesel or vo filter.
You do not need injection lines...just airtight connections.
I had issues priming so I hooked up a drill driven inline pump to the cigar hose anf ran bothe vo and diesel until I got clear fuel.
Don