Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

A few questions for my 1990 350 SDL

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Default A few questions for my 1990 350 SDL

I have a few questions, so I figured it would be easier to put them into 1 post. Just to give a little history on my vehicle, I bought it from a gentleman in NJ that used it as an occasional driver. I had to goto Iraq and into harms way in order to get enough cash to purchase one of these, which I was able to complete. So far it has been a good car with no new problems, however I seem to have purchased a few pre-exsisting ones.

First question is: I recently noticed both back tires are bowed out. I got it alligned, but was told there was no adjustment for the rear. The alignment is much better in the front, however it looks kinda crappy going down the road with both back tires bowed out. Not to mention my future tire bill. Someone said there may be a hydraulic leak that goes to level the rear, but I see no indications that it even has a pump? Does anyone have any info on this?

Second question is: Today I put a new thermostat in it after a problem locating it...LOL (Between the lower radiator hose and the block, a stupid place in my opinion).I have a temperature guage that likes to work when it feels like it. Apparently (like a dumb-dumb) I put the thermostat in backwards. As I was test driving it, out of nowhere the guage maxed out. I immediatley slammed the brakes and shut it off and realized my mistake. There was a little bit of oil coming out of the front of the head when it ran hot, however it seems to be running just fine (like it was) with no leaks and no water in the oil. I plan on getting that guage operational, but have been short on cash. I get nervous whenever I take it to the shop, becasue I know how expensive it is.Should I be concerned about the oil that came out of the head. It isn't doing it anymore and hopefully I caught it in the nick of time.

Third Question pertains to the second: The entire reason why I replaced the thermostat is because I wasn't getting any heat. The entireclimate control on this particular car has been a problem (AC included). Now that I have the new thermostat in I get heat, until I drive at high speed then I loose it (Its in the 30's out right now). Whats interesting is I can try to reset the climate control while driving high speed and still no heat. But when I slow to an intersection and reset it, it blows very hot. Too much cold air to the motor or climate control problem? Thats the whole purpose of the thermostat is to keep the water in the motor hot. The heater core does draw from the motor, not the main cooling system, right?

This car (so far) has been a good running car and like I said, with the exception of pre-exsisting ball joints needing replacing right after I bought it, it has ran good. When we first got it my wife refused to drive it because it squeeked when you got in andout and she said it made her feel like she weighed a 1,000 pounds. But that fixed that problem.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Default RE: A few questions for my 1990 350 SDL

I have a 1991 350sd. I can not give any info about the rear end bowing out. But I have had nothing but problems with the temperature unit in my vehicle. The only time I could get the heat to come on was if I stepped on the brakes hard. Then once I adjusted the temperature down just a little, I lost heat and would have to crank up the temp and hit the brakes. I replaced the entire control head and relay. It still does the same thing. Now I have tail lights that don't work and have changed bulbs and fuses. Still no lights and still slamming on the brakes to get the heater to work. I'm sorry I can't help you, but at least we can commiserate.