Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Exclamation Engine issues

Ok, I read a quick post from Netpro about his smoke issue and now I am wringing my hands. I am feeling like I have been kicked in the gut actually.

This weekend, I drove my car to church and to a wedding and nothing was out of the ordinary. Ran well, had good "get up and go" etc. Came home no problems. Wasn't blowing any smoke or anything. I have noticed in the past week or so that there seemed to be a little "miss" once or twice but nothing continual and the power was the same. Today, however, I got in it to go to the bank and I noticed smoke coming from the rear. I assumed it was carbon etc. since it was black like at first. I checked and my oil pressure is fine. I know my coolant level is fine it was checked a day ago too and the engine is not overheating. There is no "bubbling/boiling" sounds from the engine etc. I backed out and talk about SLUGGISH, ugh, it was horrible. Once I got going though it was running great. Although travelling up even minor hills caused some little puffs of smoke to come out. Not gobs, but enough to notice since I was looking for signs. It stopped being black and now it is a pale white/blue color. I got scared that if I continue driving it would do more damage, so I turned around and came back home. I need to know if my whole engine, engine gasket, or perhaps it is just one cylinder is bad. I am terrified and need to know any possible issues so I can begin making arrangements. Would it be safe to drive to a garage or should I have it towed? I think I am going to faint....

Last edited by Serenity; 03-29-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Change your fuel filters.
Are you serious? Not that I doubt your knowledge, but could it really be that simple? I have not run any bio since...well it is has been well over 3-4 months ago. I thought fuel filters would last a little longer than that. Hmm, I guess it is worth a try. Least that would hurt is that I have new filters, and it would cross out one option. Thanks I'll see if is the trick.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 PM

Didn't get a chance to change my fuel filters...pouring down rain. But in between showers I checked my oil and it hasn't dropped an inch since the last time I checked it and that was before my trouble started. Hmmm...

Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 PM

Ok, I got my fuel filters changed this evening. Then of course I had the most horrid time getting the car to start. We did get it started and I revved it a little and all this nasty white smoke was billowing out of the tailpipe like the smoke stacks on a steam boat! Of course I thought the worst that my engine was toast for sure. My valves were making enough noise that I thought there were a few rattlesnakes stashed under the hood. Anyway I finally eased up and let it idle for about 10 minutes and the smoke gradually went away. I revved it again and there was another couple of white smoke puffs, but then it too went away. Whew! The rattlers decided to quite down as well. So next was to test drive it on the road. I figured once I backed out and started up the hill by my house if it was still dragging then I had some serious problems. So after backing out I put it in drive and drove up the hill without any problems...no smoke puffs, rattlers were barely chatting and it seemed to be ok. So I turned around and came back. I was still a bit skeptical (sorry FI) but I just couldn't bring myself to "let her rip". So I let me husband take it out for a spin after making him promise to not kill it. Well, he takes off and was gone for about 5 minutes. He came back and said that he had it 75mph on a rural back road right away and that the get up and go was incredible. To conclude my tale, he said the engine is solid and that it ran great. And to think, it was so simple...only my fuel filters causing the problem. Whew! Thanks FI, I appreciate your comments.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:41 PM

That is nice to know...I will definitely keep that in mind.