Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

E class Bluetec question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Default E class Bluetec question...

Hi all. I'm considering a MB E320 Bluetec as my next car and am trying to learn more. Can anyone tell me what year the AdBlu tank was added to the E320 in the US? I've read 2008 and 2009, but don't know. I know it wasn't on the 2007s, but am wondering if I have to limit my search to a single year if I don't want the AdBlu system. Finding one with Keyless Go in the color combo I want is already hard enough!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by telltime; 07-15-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
AdBlue isn't yet used on the sedan, only the SUVs for the 2011 model year.
I've heard that as well, but I phoned a dealership about a 2009 E320 Bluetec on their lot who assured me that it was on that car. Unless the salesman was completely wrong (and he called me back later to verify), then this can't be. He has been with MB for over 20 years and seemed to know his product. I just can't seem to find it in writing/literature anywhere that this is the case.

Bluetec was used for 2007+ model sedans with the V6 engine. The 05-06 E320CDI was Mercedes' last great diesel, the V6 is throwaway junk.
Why do you say it's throwaway junk? What are you basing this decision on? Have you owned one in the later years? Do you have a reason for stating this other than they are no longer an in-line cast iron six? Is there proof that the V6 is "throwaway junk."? Not trying to be argumentative... if there is really a reason to avoid these models, I want to know. But I need proof, not opinion.

I like the 2006 as well, but the 2007 (and later) has some options I really like (Keyless Go, 7 speed tranny, a bit more power). But if they are flawed I'd like to know. I have seen no reports that they are, only a couple of folks in forums saying they don't last because they changed the block (or is it just the heads?) from cast iron to aluminum. Nothing, really, about the design from in-line to V6. But I don't see why some people think this change in metal will make the engine less durable.

Even though my engineering degree (Master's level) is software, I had to take basic engineering classes (both undergrad and grad) that encompassed all principles (mechanical, chemical, etc. as well as statistical principles)... Aluminum is actually stronger in some regards than cast iron (not as brittle and less corrosive), and since the combustion temperature of diesel is so much lower than gasoline, the risk of warping is greatly reduced. So, again, if I'm off base in my line of thinking and there are reports that this engine is designed to be throwaway, please let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited by telltime; 07-15-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:24 AM

I appreciate your passion, but this still doesn't show me why the 2007s are throwaway... I mean, you make an argument, but I'd still need some proof... do you have documentation or some form of proof towards these claims? If so, I will definitely avoid. Otherwise, there are other people out there who will say these cars are the best thing since sliced bread.

It was designed specifically around meeting emissions limits and fitting into as many models as possible to increase the fleet fuel economy average for tax benefits.
Even if this is true, why is it different than the 2006 or previous year's models? What was lost? Performance actually increased, as did options.

Its not rebuildable, its poorly organized, it was designed when Chrysler's bean counters were killing the company and its not as fuel efficient as the far better 3.2L I-6 it replaced.
- Poorly organized... How so?
- Bean counters killing company... not as fuel efficient? This was a good selling model and the literature I saw said the V6 not only produced more power (and was quieter), but with the lighter weight (due to the aluminum v. cast iron) and the addition of a 7 speed transmission, the MPG was actually higher.

There's no way around it, the V6 wasn't built to last. Hopefully, now that the Chrysler anchor has been dumped, they will design an engine worth paying money for that doesn't need $5,000 worth of exhaust treatment devices to appear "green".
- V6 wasn't built to last? I ask again, how so? Is this written somewhere? If this is true, I really want to know so I won't buy it. But I'd need some actual proof - wear ratios, a company memo, something.

Thanks for your interest so far. I really do want to make the right decision, but a Mercedes salesman will tell me exactly opposite of what you're saying. If I had supporting documentation, I could challenge (or ignore) him and just get a 2006.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Can anyone who owns a 2008, 2009, or 2010 E320 please confirm whether the AdBlue tank is or is not on their car?

I have heard that in the US this was added in 2008, while others have told me it was not added until 2009, and still others tell me it's not on US models even today. I'm trying to learn this before I go see a dealer and get roped into someone trying to "find" the car I want.

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:13 AM

This thread persuaded me to join this forum and this is my first post.

I own a 2009 E320 Bluetec sedan that I purchased new for a very good price last September. It was actually manufactured in August 2008. My E320 cannot be registered in CA, CT, MA, ME, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA, or NJ because it doesn't meet their emissions standards. I had initially assumed that it had the AdBlue tank because it was a "Bluetec" vehicle. That was wrong. There is not a urea tank on my vehicle. If there was, it would be in the trunk in place of the spare tire. I've got a tire there.

My maintenance manual services reflects the need to refill the AdBlue on the M, R, and GL class vehicles. It's not checked for the E Class because it doesn't have it. If it did, I would be 50 state legal. The new diesel E Class when it arrives will have it.

I have generally found that MB sales people know next to nothing about diesel vehicles beyond the higher MPG numbers that they recite. I also don't think they understand the term BlueTec and what it means, because it varies depending on the vehicle, and the model year. In past models "BlueTec" might include the urea tank, and it might not.

Some months ago I copied the following explanation from a MB publication that I can't find now:

"BLUETEC is a modular concept, which combines various closely coordinated technologies aimed at minimizing emissions. The result is a gradual and effective, care-fully measured minimization of all relevant emission constituents. Passenger cars equipped with this technology incorporate an oxidizing catalytic converter and a particulate filter as well as effective "DeNOx" (nitrogen oxide-reducing) systems. Here the so-called BLUETEC technology is utilized. In each case, it is the individual vehicle concept and the specific market conditions determine whether an advanced DeNOx-storage catalytic converter is used or an AdBlue injection system."

That explanation clarified my misconceptions.

BTW, I absolutely love this car. The torque is tremendous and the MPG is impressive. With my wife driving in stop and go traffic it averages around 25 or 26 MPG. That quickly jumps to 36 MPG on the highway, and I've gotten as high as 41 MPG on a long highway trip with the cruise control on and few stops.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 AM

I am taking delivery of my new E350 Blutec this coming Monday. Is there / are there any quesitons I can help with? For instance, the run-flat tires ... service says that there is a repair kit that will not interfer with the flat tire indicator. I will be on a trip to Denver and Back from LA mid-September so will have MPG results and will post

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 04-25-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ccimocm
I am taking delivery of my new E350 Blutec this coming Monday. Is there / are there any quesitons I can help with? For instance, the run-flat tires ... service says that there is a repair kit that will not interfer with the flat tire indicator. I will be on a trip to Denver and Back from LA mid-September so will have MPG results and will post
Congratulations, I'm waiting on mine to be delivered.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 04-25-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 PM

You will absolutely be blown away by the power, torque and "silence" of the motor! This car is just an absolute winner. However, it will take the better part of a month to master all the electronics and voice activation controls. Amazing.

Oh..almost forgot...with a 3/4 tank of fuel, the monitor says I still have 700+ miles to go before empty.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 04-25-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Default 320 cdi in R-class

Bluetec was used for 2007+ model sedans with the V6 engine. The 05-06 E320CDI was Mercedes' last great diesel, the V6 is throwaway junk.
First I plead total ignorance as I found this forum while trying to locate a used diesel R-class, but I am intrigued.

Is what you write true for the R-class as well? Does that mean I should look for a 2006 R-class rather than the 2007 and 2008 models I have been looking at?

As I am completely dependent on a mechanic for my car's maintenance, is it too big a risk for me to buy a 5 or 6 year old model?

Are there any red flags I should look for in a vehicle's CarFax report?

Thanks so much!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:18 PM

All MB's SUVs should be avoided, they all use the poorly designed V6.
Is there any good diesel choice for a family that needs a larger AWD? Better than my gas-guzzling, too large suburban?

Quick Reply: E class Bluetec question...