Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

do you or DON'T you use idle adjuster to start 240D? how 'bout depressed accelerator?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Default do you or DON'T you use idle adjuster to start 240D? how 'bout depressed accelerator?

hi all-

just bought a 1983 240D, 4 speed manual. i've had it for about a week, and i love it! before i purchased it i didsome research on here, and a lot of my questions about what to look for (and what to avoid) in an MB diesel were answered just by using the search function. this is my first post, as i couldn't find a conclusive answer to my question just by searching.

the car came with the manual, and i've read about the idle controller. i'm lucky enough to have a mechanic in the family (and he owns a f350 diesel, so he's at least vaguelyfamiliar with diesel engines) who checked some things out for me before i bought it. i asked him about the idle switch, and he said "don't use that, just keep starting itwhere it's at."

thebasic questions: what is the actual purpose of this thing, and when should i use it? is there a set procedure for starting these things that you follow EVERY TIME?

i've never had a diesel sedan (used to drive a diesel super duty and a diesel dump at work which were both LOUD), so i don't really know how to gauge "rough-sounding" idle.

from what i've gathered on this forum, and through some other research:

1) some folks depress the accelerator 1/2 way, turn the **** all theway ccw, remove foot from accelerator, turn key,glowplug light goes off,fire engine, and then turn the **** all the way back cw to the stop once the coolant hits 60* C

2) some folks pump the accelerator 3 or 4 times, adjust the idle **** all the way ccw, remove foot from accelerator, turn key, depress accel and clutch to the floor, glow plug light goes off, fire engine, proceed as before.

3) some folks don't do anything but start the darn thing.

for the record, it's been ~30* F around here, and i've just been getting in, turning the key, letting the glow plug light shut off, depressingthe clutch, and firing the engine. i haven't used the idler switch at all, and i definitely haven't depressed the accelerator. the car has started great each time i've used it.

i'd just like this car to last as long as possible with me, so i'm trying to dial in all of the MB-specific processes here!

thanks in advance for the help-
dp
ohio