Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Diesel and WVO

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Default RE: Diesel and WVO

Forcedinduction you sure have a hard on against WVO. The goverment vebally stated the for personel use WVO is ok [low volume] You are not to sale it or use it in commercial vehicals unless you are a registered refiner and pay the road tax's. You are legally allowed to have a still to make acohol to run in vehicals. The biggest problem with WVO is people get greedy, they don't spend the time or the money to refine it properly. Home owners insurance, watch they may refuse to cover damages from fire if they find a garage used to make WVO. Claiming you were not insured correctly.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:51 AM

lwbrewer -

I think you're confusing bio-diesel with WVO and SVO. These are not the same things.

For the best description and a short bit on legal status, read here:

http://www.epa.gov/smartway/growandg...-biodiesel.htm

Old 11-03-2008, 03:00 AM

Note this is from cycleboys link: Raw vegetable oil or recycled greases (also called waste cooking oil) that have not been processed into esters are not biodiesel, and are not registered by EPA for legal use in vehicles.
Once you refine it then it has been processedGuidance document (PDF) (8 pp, 89K, EPA-420-F-07-19, October 2007, About PDFpage 3
Biodiesel is a fuel made from plant or animal feedstocks, and may be used in conventional diesel engines. Biodiesel is comprised of specific chemical components defined by ASTM as "mono-alkyl esters of long chain fatty acids derived from vegetable oils or animal fats." In the United States, most biodiesel is made from soybean oil. However, canola oil, sunflower oil, recycled cooking oils, palm oil, animal fats, and other oils are also used as feedstocks.
Thats there wording not mine So WVO can be biodiesel. Not to say you can't find were it's illegal, but there's loop holes that you can't charge a crime for personel use.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:59 AM

The point is that once it's processed, it's no longer WVO, it's biodiesel.

WVO and SVO refer specifically to the oils that HAVE NOT BEEN processed.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:13 AM

I agree that unproccessed WVO is harder then heck on the injector & pump. I still call proccessed WVO WVO. That explains why we differ. I like the one post about flip it over throw new rings and bearings in. WVO is a injector pump killer. Once they buy one of them new they'll have a hard time trying to find the money they saved.