Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Diesel Injection Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Default Diesel Injection Pump

I took my car into a mechanic for stalling. They said that they think its the diesel injection pump, but they do not work on these issues. How much does a diesel injection pump cost (85 190 D 2.2)? They also said I might have better luck if I had a full tank of diesel. Right now I have biodiesel in the car. Could this be the issue? Can I mix regular diesel with Biodiesel?

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Default RE: Diesel Injection Pump

Actual biodiesel. I'm going to replace the filter today and put some regular diesel in. See if that makes a difference.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:41 AM

Start out simple fuel to the first filter pressure after the pump fuel back the return line. With it idling check return line first no fuel problem is before it little problem. Also how cold is it when your having this problem [geling?] Watch some fuel could get on the groung hard on asphalt and earns the name liquid gold at todays prices. Let us know if the problem is their or before that.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 PM

Now it won't start. Put a new battery in it, drove it 6 miles, and the car was running great. The mechanic I spoke to said it was having trouble going up hill. I took the car up the hill and back and sure enough, at idle it wanted to stall. I was able to park it and then it stalled. Now I can't start it again. Will try your suggestions if I can get it started again.

Just so I know what I'm getting into, lets say it is the diesel injection pump. Where can I get one, and how much do they cost?

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:44 AM

Before I would worry about big $$ item make sure it is not simple. Pull the return line and put it in to a can turn over the motor look for fuel. No fuel even a good injector pump won't work. Jumping to concluesions usely just hurts the pocket book. I've made the mistake of replacing good parts

Old 03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Have you changed your fuel filters? Start with that. I just bought one today for $13 because mine stalled as well from a leak at the front. The injection pump alone will be over $1000 new if you decide to go that route.

Since your car is older I would recommend changing some stuff just to be safe if you haven't already

Both fuel filters
Oil filter
Glow plugs

For the fuel filters after replacing them it will be hard to start the car for a few seconds or minutes.

One is located at the front of the engine a tad to the right. It's a spin on fuel filter with a single bolt holding it up. Usually it'll have some type of marking on it like "Bosch". It's filled with fuel so be careful. Before sticking in the new one fill it reasonably with fuel from a spare fuel tank like those little 2 gallon emergency tanks people carry in their vehicles.

The other one you will have to remove the black plastic intake box. Unclip it before/after you take off the black plastic hose that attaches near the driver's side head light. Thenuse a 10mm socket to remove 4 screws holding the back part in, pull it out. There's going to be a clear (or dirty colored) fuel filter about 1.5 inches long and 1 inch wide (cylindrical shape) with two fuel lines on it. One comes from the fuel tank, the other leads directly to the fuel thermostat. Simply undo the screws, but find a way to plug the fuel line that's coming from the fuel tank or it'll slowly drain out. A screw works well. No need to prefill it before installing since gravity will send fuel from the tank into the fuel filter.

The oil filter is near theback of thefire wall on the driver's side. It's somewhat slanted and is easily accessable with the hood up.The thing has 2 screws that holdsa metalcover down. With the carcold, undo the 2 screws, removethe filter, then replace. I would recommend changing the filter after you'vereplaced the oil.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Thanks for all the good info. Will try these suggestions first. Wouldn't it be nice if it was just the filters? What do you think of the hill issue? I noticed it, the mechanic noticed it, and then I tested it again and it still happened. Something goes weird when the car is at an incline.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Are there any leaks? Park your car on an incline and let it sit over night then see if it will start. If not then you've got a fuel leak causing air to get sucked into the line. A clogged fuel filter will hinder power going up hill as well more noticeably.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:11 PM

The plot thickens. Haven't had time to change the filters yet, but I read in another forum that it might be back pressure in the tank. Sure enough when I opened the gas cap, air was sucked right in. Today I couldn't start the car. I opened the gas cap and the same thing. After I let out the air it started up. I drove the car about 5 miles and it seemed to fine. I then parked the car and let it idle at park. After about 10 minutes the car started accelerating on its own. Very strange. When I put the car in drive, the idle resumed. Put in park again and the same thing. When I turned the car off, it wouldn't start again. I checked the tank, and this time no suction. Curious.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

air was sucked right in
That shouldn't be a problem. Mine does it all the time when it's time to put fuel into it and starts prior.