Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

dead cold diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008 | 02:26 PM
|
Default dead cold diesel

soooo, it really took me by surprise when i walked out to the car and i didnt hear the usual putter and cloud of smoke behind it. i guess this means its time to winterize the southern 240.
tell me what you think... [sm=sigh.gif]

Old 12-08-2008 | 06:54 PM
Default RE: dead cold diesel

1st off there's not enough info to tell you anything. South of miami FL or Alaska

Old 12-08-2008 | 07:13 PM
|

i guess there is a difference.
in in northern new york, within 100 mi. of canada. it was like -10 last night.
i got it started after a whole day of trying, and after it blowing the best cloud of smoke ive seen out of it yet i went and bought a bottle of diesel 911 i guess its supposed to thin fuel runs better.

Old 12-08-2008 | 09:50 PM

Two words: Block heater. No diesel will start below 10 degrees without one. If you still have trouble starting it in the cold, change the filters and adjust the valves.

Old 12-08-2008 | 11:48 PM
|

do you know where to buy plastic reducers for coolant line? ive looked and i cant find anything.

Old 12-09-2008 | 07:18 AM

That's not what you want to do. You want the type that screws into the engine block. Here is a link.

Old 12-09-2008 | 09:12 AM

I agree with 'cycleboy' about a block heater although I have never used one. None of my long line of cars has ever been garaged here in Toronto.
The main thing a diesel needs is a very robust, fully charged battery. I always used a battery warmer (on a timer) for a few hours before I was ready to start the car. I personally have never found any additives that help a diesel, other than empty my pocket of money I could have spent on a good battery or a trickle battery charger.
As far as winter driving goes, I assume you already have a good set of four winter or snow tires. Either type will turn an unwieldy car into a tank.
As well, an oil change AND oil filter couldn't hurt if it hasn't been done in a while. Also make sure your radiator anti-freeze tests at the proper temp according to your manual.
Happy motoring.

Old 12-09-2008 | 10:41 PM
|

the only reason i purchased the additive crap was because i was speculating gelled fuel somewhere.
what i found kinda weird is that when i couldent get it to start i bought a new battery and i didnt turn over any faster that with the old one while it was being jumped. i took it back and put the old battery back in and its started just fine every time scine then.
i think the either helped[sm=hail.gif]

Old 12-09-2008 | 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: cycleboy

Two words: Block heater. No diesel will start below 10 degrees without one. If you still have trouble starting it in the cold, change the filters and adjust the valves.
So dumb question, but I must ask it anyway - Does 'health' of your fuel filters have noticeable impact on cold weather starting? What about oil change intervals in cold weather, can that have starting impact also??

Old 12-10-2008 | 07:46 AM

Health of your fuel filters has a noticeable impact on every way the car performs. Also, if you keep to a regular oil change regimen you prevent some of the buildup of sludge in the engine. This is where a synthetic oil really contributes as it will encapsulate contaminants and carry them out of the engine at the change much better than a dino oil.

merc, what you describe with the battery change is indicative of a loose, corroded or faulty connection at the battery contact, and don't get me started on how bad ether is for an engine.

Quick Reply: dead cold diesel