Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Clicking & Smoke in idle after delivery valve o-ring repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Default Clicking & Smoke in idle after delivery valve o-ring repair

I had a bad leak on 2 of my delivery valves on my injection pump. I Just replaced all 5 of the the seals, copper and o-ring and put it all back together. After about 45 seconds of cranking all the air was purged out of the system and the engine started. Well, the leak is fixed but I noticed right away a loud clicking noise and smoke from exhaust. Driving the car, I do not notice any difference from before the "fix". The clicking disappears as soon as I step on the gas pedal. Good acceleration and no hesitation or other problems as far as I can tell. As soon as I get of the gas the clicking and smoke comes back. Another thing is when I shut down the motor the stop lever on the injection pump drops down all the way by itself and I can not start the engine unless I push it back up. What did I screw up? Any help is appreciated.
Somebody from another forum suggested that I had a leak in one or more valves. Well I redid the job using another set of new seals and I get the same result. (Toqued to spec) One thing I noticed is when I redid the seals and unscrewed the delivery valves, there was no fuel in the bottom where the valve screws in. When I did this the first time, there was fuel up to the top.

1991 300D 2.5 Turbo

Thanks

Udo