Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

ALDA service and diesel purge questions - 350SDL 1991

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Default ALDA service and diesel purge questions - 350SDL 1991

Hi everyone, I'm kind of new to this DIY scene, so please treat me as a novice when answering this post. I'm good with DIY stuff, but I really have no car experience. I'm 19 and going into third year at college, just got this car a few months ago from a friend. Its 1991 350sdl turbo diesel with 280k miles on this baby, but it has a rebuilt engine from around 150k, so i know this car has a lot left in her. All the filters except fuel filters have been changed recently. I checked all the fluids everything is good, and there is only a tiny oil leak- my mechanic said its nothing and i trust him, its small enough that nothing hits the ground under the car.

Anyway, theres two jobs ive been wanting to do, a diesel purge and an ALDA service.

1) Diesel Purge - ive heard nothing but great things about this - but ive heard most people do it when they are having problems like smoke, sluggish performance etc. I dont really have any of these - is it still a good idea to do it? Sometimes I do feel sluggish performance but I think its cause of my turbo. Also when the diesel purge is finished, and I replace the fuel filters, how do i prevent air from getting in - because if it does and my car doesnt start - well my mechanic lives far away from me ...!

2) ALDA - ok this is what i really need help with. I CANT FIND THIS THING ON MY CAR! Its the 603 engine. I really cannot find it it must be hidden. I ve read hte tutorial on diesel giant, but the pics he has up must be of a different engine because mine does not look like that. Is it recommended cleaning the banjo bolt first before tampering with the ALDA.
I want to "mod" the ALDA but not sure how to do it. I turn the nut clockwise and rev the engine til i see black smoke, then turn it back slowly until smoke goes away? What is the other stuff I keep seeing about plugging EGR or whatever that is? Do i have to do this. I dont want to take ALDA out just mod it. I need pictures for my brain to work this out!

again, i need pictures!!

Thanks in advance I really appreciate the help!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Default RE: ALDA service and diesel purge questions - 350SDL 1991

Well I just got my 87 300d turbo so im not an expert yet, but I have been studiously figuring out problems. I havent done a diesel purge yet, but i will soon, I think its a good idea every 30k miles from what it sounds like. I've replaced the front fuel lines on my car and it honestly didnt matter if i got air in the lines, it runs fine, low pressure diesel is awesome to work on.

I have the factory manuals for mine, i recommend you get the same. My ALDA is located at the rear of the block where all the fuel injector pumps are mounted, on top of that aluminum block and has a cap on the center of it covering up a screw (mine is literally covered with my intake manifold). But I wont mess with this yet til I diagnose other problems correctly.

Good luck and be patient!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:09 PM

Hello,
Go to www.dieselgiant.com They have a step by step with pics for a diesel purge. You have two fuel filters. A small plastic pre-filter and a secondary screw on filter. The secondary filter is on the front driver's side of the engine, it looks like an oil filter. Loosen the banjo nut on top, then unscrew the filter. Fill the new secondary filter with clean diesel fuel before you put it on. It will self-prime if you don't, but it takes a lot of cranking, it's easier to prime the filter. I just did a diesel purge on my 300SDL, and she purrs like a kitten. I prime my secondary filter with a can of seafoam when I changethefilterwhether I do a purge or not. I am not sure if the OM603 has an ALDA. I have the same engine, and I think that function is electronically controlled, i'm not sure. Good luck.....

Regards,
John

Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 PM

I just bought a 240D today. I love it but am already seeing if perhaps I can coax some speed out of this tank. I've heard of filling a new secondary fuel filter with Seafoam. I've also heard of using a canof Seafoam in the tank about every 3-5K miles. Finally I have heard that you can pour 1.5 oz of this wonder-tonic into the crankcase itself, drive it for about an hour around town and then change the oil/filter. Can anyone comment on this as I am now working on my first Diesel? Thanks.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 PM

Thank you. I'll take that advice to heart.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 AM

diesel purge isthe way to clean prechambers and injectors.If you are running wvo,you should do it twice a year.Cetane improvers are good too,if you live in a area with low cetane fuel.
I purge twice a year,and wow.
W126 OM 617 2 tank system injector temp 200,electric boost pump,stanadyne 5 micron filter water seperator,hot platte,and injection line heaters.Home made conversion $320.Fill your new fuel filter with your favorite fuel,no bleeding needed.I believe your engine has no ALDA.There is computer managment somewhere.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:15 PM

To show how new I am to Diesels... what's wvo? [:-]