Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

'85 300D Rough Start, Idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Default '85 300D Rough Start, Idle

Hello guys. Ok here's the scoop. When I start the car it lopes real bad like it does not want to continue to run. It feels like it just wants to stop running. Once the car warms up a bit it evens out a little bit. Then once warm it runs well at speed but has a bad shake at idle. The fuel filters have been replaced as well as the glow plugs, air filter, yada, yada, yada. Does anyone have any ideas? I am leaning toward the fuel injectors, anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks, Dave

Old 12-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Default RE: '85 300D Rough Start, Idle

ORIGINAL: Benz Guy

Hello guys. Ok here's the scoop. When I start the car it lopes real bad like it does not want to continue to run. It feels like it just wants to stop running. Once the car warms up a bit it evens out a little bit. Then once warm it runs well at speed but has a bad shake at idle. The fuel filters have been replaced as well as the glow plugs, air filter, yada, yada, yada. Does anyone have any ideas? I am leaning toward the fuel injectors, anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks, Dave
Could be an injector, or more.Loosen the injector fuel line at the top of each injector. Do one injector at a time, If the engine runs rougher, that's probably a good injector. If when you loosen the line the engine runs the same, then that's a bad injector. Before you do anything else, do a diesel purge. Pics are at http://www.dieselgiant.com If the diesel purge solves your problem you're home free. Otherwise you may have to replace the nozzles. Again, pics at dieselgiant, but you can buy Bosch nozzles at Napa. While you're at it, check out the pics of the ALDA service at dieselgiant...