Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

83 300sd egr ALDA vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Default 83 300sd egr ALDA vacuum lines

I need some help on identifying what lines to take off after taking the EGR off, also the alda line seems to bypass some sort of switch on the firewall. I also have a problem with the car being sluggish, it has never been driven hard (grandma drove it) and has all service records. it just seem like it should have more get up and feels like something is holding it back. I have attached pictures to show the lines and the switch bypass.

Attached Thumbnails 83 300sd egr ALDA vacuum lines-300sd.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by npr2u
I need some help on identifying what lines to take off after taking the EGR off, also the alda line seems to bypass some sort of switch on the firewall. I also have a problem with the car being sluggish, it has never been driven hard (grandma drove it) and has all service records. it just seem like it should have more get up and feels like something is holding it back. I have attached pictures to show the lines and the switch bypass.

The switch on the Fire Wall is for the rare instance if the Turbo overbosted; it would cut off the Boost Pressure to the ALDA and reduce the Fuel. I can't remember the name for it. Somthing like Overpressure something Relay.

The first thing to look at are the Fuel Filter/s and the Air Filters. That also includes the Screen in the Fuel Tank.
In the case of the Fuel Filters it is just easier to change them since there is no easy way to check the Fuel Pressure.

Grab a hold of the Throttle lever down onthe Fuel Injection Pump and have someone slowly step on the Acceleratror Pedal and watch what the Throttle Linkages are doing. If there is a lot of movement of the Throttle Linkages but it is not trying to move the Throtlle Lever you could have too much play in the linkages.
There is a Part on the Fire Wall between the Accelerator Pedal Linkages and the ones going to the Engine. Depending on what type you have the Rubber falls apart and or a Plastic Bushing behind the Bracket falls apart.

After that each Linkage Rod is supposed to have a specific length. You will need the Manual to find out what that lengt is and it is not in any Haynes or Chilton manual.

You can go to Mercedes STAR TekInfo and sign up with them and hope that you will be able to view the free Manuals online they have or you can buy the Manuals from Startek on CD or DVD. You need to read and see if they will work on your compunter or not.

Part numbers for service Manuals STARTEK
Star Service CDs and DVDs
Contact Consumer Promotions at 1-800-FOR-MERCedes for current pricing and ordering information on the accompanying CDs and DVDs that are available for purchase. Please refer to Service Information S-B-99.00/222J for more on Star Service

Or you can get the Manuals from a Place called Mercedesmanuals. However, they cost more there.

The easiest way to disconnect the EGR is simply to pull the Vacuum Line at the EGR and plug it off. That keeps the EGR from opening.
You can remove the rest of the Vacuum Lines after you have the Manual and understand what you are removing.
I don't know the Color Codes of the Vacuum Tubing to give you specifics on how to remove the Vacuum Line that are specifically for the EGR.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 12-05-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:50 PM

I forgot to mention that the where the line that goes from the back of the Intake Manifold to the ALDA attaches at the Manifold is frequently plugged with crud you need to make sure that line is open so the ALDA recives Boost Pressure.

Check the Service Records and see when or if the Valves Were Adjusted. If not that should be done. That can effect your power.

Another thing that can be checked is see if your Turbocharger is putting out enough boost. 10-12 psi when maxed out is normal.
If it is lower than 10 the Waste Gate or the Wastgate Hose is often the cause. The Wastgate can sometimes be adjusted to deliver more Boost. But, from what I have read sometimes the adustment cannot be moved or it just does not help much.
Whan that happens people install an adjutable Wastegate controller in/on the Wastgate Hose.