Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

83 300 sd fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Default 83 300 sd fuel problem

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I have a question that I hope can be answered or if not answered then I hope some discussion will help me solve it. Here it is. Can anyone please tell me what type of on/off fuel supply switch used for start up, electronic or vacuum or combination? It started up, no problem, it idled fine, but died when I gave it throttle. There,s fuel to the pump or at least to the filter. I'm thinking, maybe the vacuum pump as it just seamed to run out of fuel. Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give me.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Thanks so much for you reply. Much appreciated.
The filters are clean. Would you, (or anyone else reading this) know what controls the vacuum fuel flow valve at the ignition? Is it electronic or is it a vacuum switch? Maybe my vacuum valve isn't opening....or both? Not sure.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Of course ForcedInduction is correct on the Fuel Filters. If there is enough crap in your Fuel the new Filters can plug up in a matter of minutes.

Not mention is you also have a Fuel Tank Screen that can get plugged.

In any event Plugged Fuel Filters are the commonest cause of loss of power on Diesel Engine.
If you think your Old Filter are still good simply put them in a Zip Lock Bag and reused them later when you install the New Filters.

Concerning your Shutoff. Shutoff is done by Vacuum or Manual Shutoff Lever about in the middle right of your Valve Cover.

The simplified version is that a Brown Vacuum tubing (it may or may not have a stripe) comes off of the Vacuum Supply end of your Vacuum System and goes trough the Fire Wall to a Manual Vacuum Switch/Valve attached to your Steering Colum Lock and that is actuated when you turn your Key.
Another Brown (it may have a stripe) Vacuum Tube goes From that Manual Vacuum Valve through the Firewall to the Vacuum Shutoff/Servo/Solenoid mounted on the Fuel Injection Pump.

I am not in agreement with you that this system could cause the problem. However, if you disconnect the Brown Tubing at the Fuel Injection Pump Vacuum Shutoff Valve and plug the Tubing there will be no possible way for Vacuum to operate the Vacuum Solenoid.
Start your Engine and see if it will shut off when you try to accelerate.

If it still shuts off there is only one Vacuum Solenoid Related thing that can happen to cause that and that is if something is causing a sudden Crankcase Pressure rise. Excessive Crankcase pressre can push the Vacuum Solenoid into the Shutoff position.
To test for that remove the Oil Fill Cap on the Valve Cover and see if the Engine will run and accelerate like that (some Oil is going to come out of the hole so there is going to be some mess).
If your Engine runs normal like that put the Oil Fill Cap back on and see if cleaning out your Crankcase Breather system works.
If none of that works you have some Engine issue that is causing a high Crankcase Pressure. As an example a Blown Head Gasket could cause that.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 PM

Thanks for you're reply. I will make a closer look at the filters and consider the other tests if it goes that far, first thing is to get the engine to started. The idea of the vacuum came about because I've been haveing problems with the door locks and the heater and a/c dampers not opening, hence maybe the shutoff valve isn't opening either, or possibly the solinoid isn't workng, or maybe I need a vacuum pump, needless to say I don't know exactly but the information you sent helps, so I'll check the solinoid first and go on from there.
Once again, thank you.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by starry
Thanks for you're reply. I will make a closer look at the filters and consider the other tests if it goes that far, first thing is to get the engine to started. The idea of the vacuum came about because I've been haveing problems with the door locks and the heater and a/c dampers not opening, hence maybe the shutoff valve isn't opening either, or possibly the solinoid isn't workng, or maybe I need a vacuum pump, needless to say I don't know exactly but the information you sent helps, so I'll check the solinoid first and go on from there.
Once again, thank you.
If a Vacuum leak or loss progresses one of the symptoms is that you will not be able to shut off your Engine when you turn off the Key off.

Mighty Vac type hand held Vacuum testers are more than handy for testing Vacuum stuff but if you just want to find out if you have enough Vacuum to begin with all you need is a Vacuum Gauge.

They are most often sold as Vacuum a combined Vacuum and Fuel Pump Gauge.

Either one is cheaper that buying a $300+ Vacuum Pump and finding out you did not need one.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Default fuel problem

Thanks for the information, until I can get the engine started I can't try any of the test's suggested. My original post mentioned that " I started the engine, it idled for awhile with no problem until I gave it thottle then it just quit. I haven't been able to get it to fire again, it's got fuel, it's been bled and primed, the filters are fine.If its not any of the problems I mentioned in the previous post's then the only other question is the pump. Thanks for the responces, you've got me thinking.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by starry
Thanks for the information, until I can get the engine started I can't try any of the test's suggested. My original post mentioned that " I started the engine, it idled for awhile with no problem until I gave it thottle then it just quit. I haven't been able to get it to fire again, it's got fuel, it's been bled and primed, the filters are fine.If its not any of the problems I mentioned in the previous post's then the only other question is the pump. Thanks for the responces, you've got me thinking.
Using the hand Primer only circulated Fuel and gets rid of air out of the Fuel Injection pump Fuel Supply System/Fuel Injectin Pump Housing.

Loosen thel Fuel Injection Line Nuts at the Injectors crank the Starter. You want to see Fuel come out of the loose connections before you tighten the Nuts. That bleeds any Air out of those lines and also tells you if you are really getting Fuel to the Injectors.

Not don't overheat your Starter Cranking it too much.