Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

'69 220D White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Default '69 220D White Smoke

Hi All,
I'm new to this site. I'm hoping someone can help me. The car smokes terribly. White smoke with the smell of unburned diesel fuel. Car runs so-so. Mostly it's a smoke problem. I've checked the injectors - they work. Cleaned the throttle body. Used Diesel Purge type product. I tried adjusting the injection timing. Nothing makes a lsting difference (short term improvement but gets worse all the time).
I'm wondering if the injection pump diaphram (governor) has a whole in it and I'm getting too much fuel for the amount of air the throttle body allows. If I suck on the tube that goes from the throttle body to the injection pump it doesn't hold vacuum (engine off); shouldn't it? if I pinch the tube while the car is running the throttle goes up; however if I remove the tube from the fitting on the the throttle body the engine revs go way up as I assume it should.

Any thoguhts?
Thanks,
Greg

Old 01-17-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by GHewgill
Hi All,
I'm new to this site. I'm hoping someone can help me. The car smokes terribly. White smoke with the smell of unburned diesel fuel. Car runs so-so. Mostly it's a smoke problem. I've checked the injectors - they work. Cleaned the throttle body. Used Diesel Purge type product. I tried adjusting the injection timing. Nothing makes a lsting difference (short term improvement but gets worse all the time).
I'm wondering if the injection pump diaphram (governor) has a whole in it and I'm getting too much fuel for the amount of air the throttle body allows. If I suck on the tube that goes from the throttle body to the injection pump it doesn't hold vacuum (engine off); shouldn't it? if I pinch the tube while the car is running the throttle goes up; however if I remove the tube from the fitting on the the throttle body the engine revs go way up as I assume it should.

Any thoguhts?
Thanks,
Greg
White smoke falls into 2 catagories. Coolant getting into the Cylinder or as you said
unburned Fuel.

When I had a white smoke issue it was when I re-installed a Fuel Injection Pump and the timing was extremely late. I blew billows of extremely White smoke. From what I have read the Whitness is due to the light reflecting off of the Atomized Fuel.
So in my case the Fuel was being Injected at a time when most of it would not even try to burn.
A coolant issue would have to be a Head Gasket or a Crack in the metal.

If you did not have a Diesel Nozzle Tester you really did not test your Injectors. The Injectors have to start Injection within a certain pressure range and the spray pattern on the Injectors has to be good; if the Injector sort of pees out the Fuel the Nozzle is worn out.

I do not know if the Governor Diaphragm is supposed to hold a Vacuum. I have read it is made of Oiled Goatskin. I believe the cost around $265 each so I would not replace it until I was sure it could be the cause.

I would adjust the Valves and while the Valve Cover is off I would rotat the engine in the direction of rotation and line up the Camshaft Gear Timing Marks with the Timing Marks on the Camshaft Bearing Tower as exactly as possible.
After that look down and see what degrees on the Crankshaft Damper that the Timing Pointer points to. When the Engine came from the Factory it was set at Zero (top dead center).
That will tell you how far off your camshaft timing is.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by jonDanish
I have a Lexus LS, everytime I start the car excessive amount of white smoke comes out of the exhaust. It only happens If I leave the car sitting there for more then 2 hours. Some say it can be water leaking, but all my water and anti freez are still in tack. So I really don't know.
Sounds like a job for a Forum for Lexus Cars.

I know zero about gas Cars made after 1992. But, is there any sort of computer problem codes you can access like you do on other models?

In general it sounds like something is wrong with the part of your system that works when the Engine is cold; be it Fuel, Timing or Emissions. Sort of a cold start mode.

Take a look here someone else has white smoke with his lexus
http://www.2carpros.com/questions/le...ke-at-start-up

Last edited by Diesel9112; 01-18-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Old 01-19-2011, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel9112
White smoke falls into 2 catagories. Coolant getting into the Cylinder or as you said
unburned Fuel.

When I had a white smoke issue it was when I re-installed a Fuel Injection Pump and the timing was extremely late. I blew billows of extremely White smoke. From what I have read the Whitness is due to the light reflecting off of the Atomized Fuel.
So in my case the Fuel was being Injected at a time when most of it would not even try to burn.
A coolant issue would have to be a Head Gasket or a Crack in the metal.

If you did not have a Diesel Nozzle Tester you really did not test your Injectors. The Injectors have to start Injection within a certain pressure range and the spray pattern on the Injectors has to be good; if the Injector sort of pees out the Fuel the Nozzle is worn out.

I do not know if the Governor Diaphragm is supposed to hold a Vacuum. I have read it is made of Oiled Goatskin. I believe the cost around $265 each so I would not replace it until I was sure it could be the cause.

I would adjust the Valves and while the Valve Cover is off I would rotat the engine in the direction of rotation and line up the Camshaft Gear Timing Marks with the Timing Marks on the Camshaft Bearing Tower as exactly as possible.
After that look down and see what degrees on the Crankshaft Damper that the Timing Pointer points to. When the Engine came from the Factory it was set at Zero (top dead center).
That will tell you how far off your camshaft timing is.
It is definitely fuel. It looks like fuel and smells like fuel. I've had blown head gaskets on cars and they look like Stanley Steamers. This is white-gray aerosolized fuel.

I did adjust the valves and they were all too tight, but it didn't make a difference. With regard to timing, I've not removed the injector pump so I can't imagine that it's off enough to be that severe simply by wear and chain stretch. I did try moving the pump to advance the timing, but it didn't help so I moved it back.

As far as testing the injectors, you're right I don't have the equipment to do it properly. I removed the injecotors and lines and put numbers 2-4 into a metal can to collect the fuel and one-by-one connected the injecors to #1 line (actually a line from the bone yard that I straightened out for the purpose). I connected a cranking switch to the starter and observed. THey all produced a straight stream with a little mist. The volume was tiny, but the stream forceful.
Greg