Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

300SD Shot Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Default 300SD Shot Turbo?

(I realized I had posted this in the wrong forum...sorry bout that)

81 300SD, changed oil a while back...wrung off stud in oil filter housing...dropped all oil and noticed it about a half a mile from my shop, turned around and fixed it. Car was running fine for about 300 miles then broke down. It runs for a few minutes but obviously has no boost, smoke under the hood, then it just shuts down. My guess is that from being starved of oil for a few minutes, the turbo is shot, the engine seems to have compression although I haven't gauged it. Any advice is much appreciated.

Haymaker

Old 07-30-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by haymaker
(I realized I had posted this in the wrong forum...sorry bout that)

81 300SD, changed oil a while back...wrung off stud in oil filter housing...dropped all oil and noticed it about a half a mile from my shop, turned around and fixed it. Car was running fine for about 300 miles then broke down. It runs for a few minutes but obviously has no boost, smoke under the hood, then it just shuts down. My guess is that from being starved of oil for a few minutes, the turbo is shot, the engine seems to have compression although I haven't gauged it. Any advice is much appreciated.

Haymaker
What I got from the above is that you fixed the oil leak and it ran for 300 miles and then broke down.

If so what was the nature of the break down; did is stall, ect.
Where did it look like the smoke was comming from?
What type of Oil pressure do you have now; and is that pressure steady?

Do you have an unusual amount of Blow-by now and do you have more than before the Oil Loss/Break down.

If you now have too much Blow-by it is possible for the Crank Case pressure to build up enough to shut the Engine Down at idle. It will be messey but see if it will idle and continue to idle without the Oil Fill cap on.