Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

220D 1982 Year Valve Train Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Joe
Default 220D 1982 Year Valve Train Noise

I have a 1982 220D it sounds like the valves are chatering (CURRENTLY) when its say 30-40mph when I get above 40mph it seems to quiten down. I thought they might need adjusting so I adjusted them (BEFORE) they seemed to chater at above 40mph before I adjusted them now they are chattering below. When I adjusted them I looked at every thing it seemed to be in decent shape for 165,000 miles no glaring problems or excessive wear. Has someone seen tis before? I also changed the oil thinking it might be breaking down. Thanks in advance, Joe

ps will a 1979 220D cylinder head fit my 1982 220D?

Old 02-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Default RE: 220D 1982 Year Valve Train Noise

Are you sure that the sound is from the valves? Nailing/Noisy Diesel Injectors, sound almost the same, and are often confused with noisy valves.

Phil

Old 02-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Joe

Phil,

Thanks for taking the time to help. Your right it does sound a little like nailing. Their is no rythym to it you will here it every now and then its not constant it is sorta sparatic. It doesn't do it at idle mainly from 30-45. Might be fuel starvation caused by dirty injectors as you suggested. I do have new fuel filters both primary and secondary I can change those also. How often do you think I should change the fuel filters in mileage? I have changed many diesel filters in the Army so I am kinda familiar with the principle but any tips would be appreciated.

Some days are worse than others with the nailing noise. Can I clean the injectors myself? I am a pretty decent at mechanicing and I am retired so I have the time any tips would be appreciated.

What will happen if I do nothing? Just Curious

Thanks Again,
Joe
Joe

Old 02-10-2005, 10:12 PM

Try the simple things first.

Perform what's called an "Italian Tune-up". Drive the car on the highway, with several episodes of accelerations at full throttle. Lots of black smoke should come out the exhaust. This is good. Do this several times. Going up a long steep hill at full throttle is even better. Prior to doing the "Italian Tune-Up", add a diesel injector cleaner to your fuel tank. "Red Line" and "Diesel Purge" by Lubro-Moly are good products. Red-Line is available at Auto Zone, Diesel Purge is harder to find but is available on line (do a search)

I change my Fuel filters as per the interval specified in my owner's manual. If you are not sure when they were changed last, than change them after you performed the above steps. When you do change them, you may want to pre-fill the new filter canister with one of the "Diesel "Additives" mentioned above. "Diesel Purge" will be my first choice for this.

In terms of removing and cleaning the diesel injectors yourself, once clean, the Injectors MUST than be calibrated as a set. In order to calibrate them you will need to have a specialized Diesel injection calibration device. Not too many DIYs that I know have it. Its therefore more practical to bring your injectors to a diesel shop that specializes and has the equipment to clean and calibrate them. I think the going rate for this work is around $15-$20 per Injector. This price assumes that you remove and re-install the injectors yourself. Even new, out-of-the box, Injectors must be calibrated (as a set) prior to installation.

If you do decide to remove, and have your injectors calibrated than make sure that you replace all of the plastic retainers supporting the fuel injector lines. Missing, or broken plastic retainers are a sure recipe for broken fuel injection lines resulting from excessive vibration. Even if you don't remove the Injectors, visually inspect these plastic retainers, and replace them as necessary.

Good Luck,

Phil

Old 02-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Joe

Thanks for the advice Phil.

I have a couple of more questions:
1. What would you rate the red-line diesel injector cleaner 1-10 and what would you rate diesel purge 1-10?
2. Will the engine run on pure or slighltly mixed red-line if I put it into the filter canister like it will the diesel purge?

I found the diesel purge on the internet it is about $23 (http://www.mercedessource.com/) and the red-line is about 6 dollars at autozone. Since I already have a problem I will go with the better cleaner unless their both about the same level as effectiveness.

Thanks Again,
Joe

Old 02-11-2005, 06:01 PM

Sorry, I think my previous reply may not have been clear. Diesel Purge is specifically intended to clean Diesel injectors, and can, and should be used undiluted. Red-Line should be diluted, and is more suitable as a Diesel additive in the fuel tank.

If you are planning on filling the fuel filter canister with a Diesel additive/Purge than "Diesel Purge" is your first choice. The engine will run on 100% Diesel purge.

A single can of Diesel purge is around $9.00. I think the $23 that you are referring to gets you a compete Diesel purge kit, which includes 2 bottles of diesel purge + some tubing, ect. To fill the fuel filter all you need is one bottle.

If you do decide to go further than just filling up the fuel canister, and perform a complete purge, than the kit is perhaps more appropriate.

Phil

Old 02-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Joe

Phil,
Thanks, I will get some diesel purge to clean the injectors and post results. Might take a few days since I have to order it.
Joe

Old 02-14-2005, 02:45 AM

Here is a reference to an article I found on cleaning the injectors on a 300SD. It should be somewhat similar to your car, and can help you out a bit. http://dieselgiant.com/mercedes_dies...nance_tips.htm

Phil