Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1982 Mercedes 240D - Deferred Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Default 1982 Mercedes 240D - Deferred Maintenance

Hello everyone. As the title suggests I just picked up an 82' Mercedes 240D. I got it from the original owner and it was sitting stagnant for a couple of years. I have already changed the oil. I also plan on taking care of the following:

-Change air filter, fuel filters, and power steering filter and fluid.
-Flush coolant system.
-Adjust valves and replace valve cover gasket. (If anyone has a video on valve cover gasket replacement I would appreciate it.)
-Replace glowplugs. (Does this need to be done or should I test them first?)
-Charging AC with R12.

I was also considering doing a diesel purge, although I am concerned about the necessity and safety of this procedure. Can this be harmful to my engine and if not, would you recommend doing it? The car only has 95k original miles.

Also, when charging the AC is it necessary to evacuate the system first. I don't know when it was last running. My guess would be two or three years. And I have heard arguments for and against R12. Would you recommend charging the current system or retrofitting and charging with R134A.

If there are any other maintenance items you would suggest please feel free to share. Thanks all!

Old 06-29-2013, 10:17 AM

The Bit on the original Glow Plug reamer is 7mm. I have not taken the time to see if 9/32" is close to that or not.

Consensus on the various Mercedes Forums is that only Bosch or Beru Glow Plugs should be used.

I have had personal experience with the tips swelling on the Autolite Glow Plugs and the and I had one of the Monark Glow Plugs die with in 1.5 years. I have had no issues with the Bosch Plugs.
If you buy them on the internet the Bosch Plugs are cheap and widely available.

Some People have claimed that removing their Glow Plugs and reaming the Carbon out of the Glow Plug holes made for easier starts in the Winter.
It is not cold where I live so I cannot verify that.

Before doing anything to the A/C system you should test the System for leaks and find out where that leak is.
When you add the parts ForcedInduction suggested it should again be tested for leaks.

Last edited by Diesel9112; 06-29-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Thanks ForcedInduction that was a very thorough reply and will help me greatly. The recommendation to use biodiesel to clean to fuel lines/tank is great. A much greater alternative to the diesel purge indeed. I will be sticking with R12 and following your advice on the part replacement, evacuation, and vacuuming. I have watched videos that display the vacuuming and charging process, but how can I evacuate the remaining freon and recycle it properly? Thank you for the additional maintenance items as well. I did plan on changing those fluids as well and will use your suggestions on oils/fluids.

Diesel9112 thanks for the glow plug recommendation. If they do require replacement I'll pick up some bosch glowplugs. I'll probably just order them anyway to have some on hand. I have also heard of people having issues with Autolite.

Thanks again! I can't wait to get my baby all fixed up.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by madmusic
Thanks ForcedInduction that was a very thorough reply and will help me greatly. The recommendation to use biodiesel to clean to fuel lines/tank is great. A much greater alternative to the diesel purge indeed. I will be sticking with R12 and following your advice on the part replacement, evacuation, and vacuuming. I have watched videos that display the vacuuming and charging process, but how can I evacuate the remaining freon and recycle it properly? Thank you for the additional maintenance items as well. I did plan on changing those fluids as well and will use your suggestions on oils/fluids.

Diesel9112 thanks for the glow plug recommendation. If they do require replacement I'll pick up some bosch glowplugs. I'll probably just order them anyway to have some on hand. I have also heard of people having issues with Autolite.

Thanks again! I can't wait to get my baby all fixed up.
What happened to Me with the Autolite Glow Plugs. I replace the Glow Plugs with Autolites but did not have a Glow Plug Reamer. 6 Months later when I went to remove the Glow Plugs so I could ream out the holes I had to use a Vice Grips to get 2 of the Autolite Glow Plugs out due to the tips swelling.
That is after only 6 months use in a warm part of the Country. Also it is one thing to have a Glow Plug simply stop working and another to almost get 2 stuck in the Cylinder Head.

Since that time I have seen pictures posted by others of Autolite Glow Plugs were the tip looks like it exploded. This is on time when a US made product is pathetic.