Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1980 mercedes 300TD

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Default 1980 mercedes 300TD

I have the car running pretty good, drove it up to the car wash and washed the engine off. Back in my garage I noticed the injectors are leaking diesel where the copper crush washers are. The car sat about 6 years, does anyone know where I can get new copper crush washers?
Also having a heck of a time with the SLS system. Keep blowing hoses and have yet to get the back end of the car to go up. I'm keeping at it tho..
I thought when I replace the final hose tomorrow on the SLS, I was going to mess with the leveling valve to see if i can get the car to go up, i thought maybe its froze up and was going to see if the lever will move, etc.

Any ideas anyone has are appreciated. Thank you
Shawn

Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM

Still need to get the heat shields, copper washers for the injectors and the correct socket to take the injectors out and replace them.
BUT GOOD NEWS, My SLS system is fixed. The line going from the resevor to the pump was letting it suck air in. Replaced that line and then looked under the back, the rod coming from the lever was way out of adjustment, so adjusted it and the back end came right up. I'm so relieved.
Noticed a boot on the back passanger axel is leaking grease, so going to replace that now and fix the injectors, then on to routine maint. like wheel bearings.
The bad part is none of my windows work, switches are crumbled apart, drivers window you can push up and down with your hand, so I have to fix those.
the climate control only works on heat on defrost full blast. If you have any information or ideas on what can be wrong with it, i would appreciate any insight you may have.
Thank you all for your help.
I have never worked on a Mercedes 300TD so this is all new to me, if you have any ideas or have experienced any of this, please help me. Thanks again.
Shawn

Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM

Thank you Forced Induction. The heater works on defrost full blas, when i put it on auto low or high i can hear something running under the dash. I will look for the servo and get another one.
Thanks again. I did find the heat shield, i called them a crush washer, pretty inexpensive, but since Sunday not much I can do about parts here in Missouri. So just been rubbing the oxidation off the paint making it look a little better until I can do a repaint on it.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 AM

Does anyone know how to test the climate control servo to see if its leaking. I can hear something under the dash that sounds like vacuum when i turn the climate control on. Also there are a couple hard plastic lines cracked in half under the hood. Could this be why the climate control part doesn't work? can i use rubber hose to put the hard plastic ones back together? or is there someplace I can buy new ones?
Thank you all again.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM

I believe you have the evil servo unit...you will most likely need a new servo, new computer and the aux water pump. You may also need new vacuum pods under the dash. For the ccu to work, you need to find and fix every vacuum leak. Or you can disconnect parts of the system you don't need at the moment. Probably 99% of the parts you need can be found at Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM

working on changing all my fuel lines, they are old and leaking, got new heat shields in and braided return lines so putting them on today, also just bought four new tires before any blew out...LOL
Yes I have so far found a couple lines coming from the servo unit that are cracked and have fixed them. I hear something like a leak coming from under the passenger side dash inside the car so I probably have vaccume leak under the dash on the passenger side. Will get to checking it out just as soon as I have the time. Been doing lots on it and order more and more parts, but so far with the tires im not into my car for a thousand dollars yet. The car was only six hundred and my friend bought it for me.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 AM

havent gotten to my climate control yet but thought I had an oil pressure problem, scared me good. First diesel and learning to fix it myself so I have asked alot of questions. I pulled my oil pan checked the oil pump gears, screen and cleaned the pressure relief valve, and found out my oil pressure is normal and I shouldn't use the oil I had in it, so another oil change.
Today im changing all my fuel lines as some are leaking coming from the tank, etc. then finish under the hood changing the return lines, etc.

QUESTION: There is a clear plastic hose running to the top where the screw in fuel filter goes, does anyone know what this is for? Its brittle and im trying to find another one to change it but cant find clear, it looks like fish tank tubing almost.
Thank you.

Got four new tires, car rides so much better with the back end up and the new tires, but I have to order accumulators I think they are called. feels bouncy and wierd in corners, its hard to describe.
Thank you all for your ideas and help.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnDillard
havent gotten to my climate control yet but thought I had an oil pressure problem, scared me good. First diesel and learning to fix it myself so I have asked alot of questions. I pulled my oil pan checked the oil pump gears, screen and cleaned the pressure relief valve, and found out my oil pressure is normal and I shouldn't use the oil I had in it, so another oil change.
Today im changing all my fuel lines as some are leaking coming from the tank, etc. then finish under the hood changing the return lines, etc.

QUESTION: There is a clear plastic hose running to the top where the screw in fuel filter goes, does anyone know what this is for? Its brittle and im trying to find another one to change it but cant find clear, it looks like fish tank tubing almost.
Thank you.

Got four new tires, car rides so much better with the back end up and the new tires, but I have to order accumulators I think they are called. feels bouncy and wierd in corners, its hard to describe.
Thank you all for your ideas and help.
On the side of the Fuel Injection Pump is the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump. That Pump pushes the Fuel through one of the Plastic Lines (it has a Nut on the Pump end) into the Spin-on Fuel Filter.
The fuel goes throgh the Filter into the Fuel injection Pump Housing. A small amount of that Fuel is eventually Injected into the Engine.
The bulk of the Fuel is circulated through the Fuel Injection Pump Housing (to cool it) and goes out the way of the Fuel Pressure Relief/Over Flow Valve and enters that Plastic Line you are speaking of the goes to the top of the Fuel Filter where the Injector Retun Hose attachs and the Fuel Return Hose (Cigar Hose) takes the Fuel back to the Fuel Tank.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM

Thank you very much, I have changed every line on the car. Just because they all looked original and I didnt want to get it the way I wanted it and have problems from them. It has also helped the car start faster, I guess air would get in the lines when it was sitting. I am thinking of buying new balanced injectors, but havent gotten that far yet. Its my drivable project and I have to admit I love it. Even without having a turbo charger on it.