Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

washing the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Default RE: washing the car

Your correct the further away the better. Also, These high pressure sprayers, work well when cleaning a REALLY DIRTY engine. But take the precautions of covering electrics.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:45 PM

Thats a barrier im not real comfortable breaking!

Old 12-14-2004, 04:03 PM

I've never used it on my Mercedes engines, but when I had a bunch of older collector cars I used it. Heck I was in the rebuilding stage. Spray a can of Gunk and spray away. Never had one that didn't start after. But I use car wash soap and a regular hose to clean the Mercedes engine bay.

Old 12-14-2004, 04:32 PM

i live in the city so i do not have the option of washing the car myself. I have two options. A hand car wash place and a touchless washing place. Some people said me that touchless washing would scratch more than hand washing as they use very high pressurized water. And their website says that it would scratch much less than hand wash. The touchless washing's website is http://www.washworksonline.com/facts/index.html <- they claim that

"Two university studies (University of Texas, and the Technical University of Munich, in cooperation with Mercedes-Benz) prove that a single hand wash produces scratches 1/10 as deep as the paint's thickness-far too many scratches to count."

What do you guys think?

Old 12-14-2004, 04:45 PM

I have been a car nut for 40 years, and hand washing with the proper tools and technique, is the correct way to go. Go to an auction or collectors show, and I will bet you no one uses any sort of "automatic car wash". I had a 86 Porsche 911 Carbiolet which was in showroom condition and when I sold it a couple of years later it was still in showroom condition, never saw the inside of a auto car wash. Go the the hand car wash, unless they use sandpaper to wash and dry, IMHO it still better then a machine.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:47 PM

I will make them to use my own tools I got the sheepskin from Mercedes today. Also I got the NOAH car cover. I will be leaving the car for 1.5 months in a closed garage. Is it a good idea to put the car cover on?

Old 12-14-2004, 07:09 PM

Yes, a very good idea, also get some of that gas stabilizer and pour it in the tank. You can pick up some at any auto parts store. I would put the car up on jack stands, as you could get flat spots and I would get a trickle charger for the battery, especially if you live in a cold area. This might sound extreme, but in a colder climate prevention is your best bet. The cover and the gas stabilizer are most important, the others are not as,. but I would do this even for a month and half.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:21 PM

the garage is heated. It is not heated but the heater is next to the garage so it is much hotter than outside and I live in Baltimore it does not become very cold out here. Do I really need the gas stabilizer?

Kaan

Old 12-14-2004, 07:25 PM

If nothing else IMHO the gas stablizer is more important then the other suggestions. Then the car cover is 2nd. Don't worry about gas stabilizer, I used it for years when I had my collection of various auto's and some I didn't use for months at a time. Gas will turn to shellac not in a month and a half, but it will start to breakdown within a week or so, if the car is not run. I've been there, my friend.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:30 PM

i will go to the Mercedes service tomorrow. Would they have it?

Quick Reply: washing the car