Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Blurry Headlights

Old 06-18-2018, 11:53 PM
Default Blurry Headlights

Hi guys!

I need you because I have to deal with the scourge of all headlights… BLURRY HEADLIGHTS!

I did not pay attention to my headlights and now they are all dirty, I tried cleaning them with toothpaste and a brush as a friend told me but it failed and I really have to get it done: It would be dangerous to drive without them being spotless… any tips? I am getting really desperate…

Also, if anyone knew how to protect my headlights so it does not happen again, I’d love them to share with me!

Old 06-19-2018, 12:40 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! Take a look at the link below for some excellent products to restore your headlights. Please let us know if you have any questions!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...121-detail.htm

Old 06-24-2018, 09:36 PM

Hi, Thanks for your answer! Do they come with a step by step explanation of how to restore headlights?

Old 06-25-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by atillocate
Hi, Thanks for your answer! Do they come with a step by step explanation of how to restore headlights?
I would think that the bottle would have at least some guidance as to how to apply the solution. Which one are you interested in? I'll try to see if I can find more info for you.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:14 PM

Hi,
I feel you man, foggy healights are the worst!
A bit of science first, this blur is due to UV rays that attack your polycarbonate headlights!
If you want to give them their original look here is how to do it!
  • clean them, I usually just use soap.
  • Use sand paper on them! You want to be extremely methodical. I usually do several steps and start at 1000 and end up somewhere between 2500 and 3000. You can damp your sandpaper too, it will be even more effective. Each pass is probably 10 minutes, just be patient!
  • Polish (preferably with a polishing machine but you can also do it manually)
Remember to be patient, there is no magic involved, just work the surface as long as it is needed.

For protection you can apply a coating. My detailer applied IGL Coatings Headlights on mine approximately 5 months ago and so far so good! It is a Malaysia company and as such they are used to much harsh UV ray (as in during the whole year) and also acidic rains so all in all I feel that it should work longer than most products available in the market.

I hope this delayed reply helps you ahah