Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

You Can't Be Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Default You Can't Be Sirius

I bought a brand new 2006 c280 two weeks ago. I asked my salesperson about installing sirius satellite (my car didn't have it as a factory installed option) he said "no problem just bring it back and we'll install it, for around $670 in parts and $300 in labor.

Brought the car back and got a call around noon from my service advisor, he said, "according to my service notices, Sirius kits are not available for the 2006." I asked when they would be available and his reply was probably never. I called a few other dealerships, and talked with the tech folks at MBUSA and was told that to save money, mercedes had not pre-wired the 2006s for Sirius, so unless you purchased as a factory installed option, you're out of luck.

Here's my question: Can I buy a 2005 kit and have a pro-shop install it so that it integrates w/ my comand system (I have the navigation and entertainment options)?

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

-Bill

Old 08-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Default RE: You Can't Be Sirius

I don't know the answer, but it seems that the dealership or MBUSA would have offered that as an option if it were possible instead of telling you that you were "out of luck."

Old 08-17-2005, 12:53 PM

You can buy adapters that play thru your cigar lighter on a FM station, I have one for my MP3 player, it's not pretty but it works and cost me $15.00. You would need to buy the car adapter and the Sirius unit at a Circuit City tpe place, but it would be a lot cheaper, probably $200 tops, then what Mercedes wants to charge. I thought Sirius was available since 05. I think your goin to still shell out a lot of $$ if you have it installed and perhaps the 05 is adaptable, Mercedes is good at doing things like this.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:59 PM

It doesn't play through the cigar lighter. It plays through an FM modulator to the car's FM radio. It gets 12-volt power through the cigar lighter.

I don't think he's interested in one of those anyway. They aren't big secrets so he must know about them. He's looking for something that will integrate into the factory head unit.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. My desire is to have the Sirius radio play through the factory installed Comand Navigation system (it has a SAT button on it, so it must have the inputs in the back). What I can't seem to get a straight answer on from the MB folks is, even though the car is not "pre-wired" can an 05 system plug into an 06 comand center?

Old 08-17-2005, 05:57 PM

Lugnut if you knew how to comprehend what you read, that is what I said. The cigar lighter adapter is also the FM modulator, that in my cas plays on 107.7FM

Old 08-17-2005, 07:13 PM

You can buy adapters that play thru your cigar lighter on a FM station...
That's what you said and it's not true. It doesn't "play thru your cigar lighter on a FM station." The FM modulator broadcasts an FM signal to the radio's antenna.

... cigar lighter adapter is also the FM modulator.
That isn't true either. The power cord is separate from the FM modulator. You're confused because they share the same plastic container.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:23 PM

The FM modulator is located in the plug that does into the cigar lighter and plays thru the FM frequency on your radio. FM means Frequency Modulation by the way. Am Amplitude modulation. In case FM hasn't come to Georgia yet or radio for that matter.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:42 PM

The FM modulator and the power plug are separate things. They share the same case in order to eliminate a separate wire. Older units had them separated.

The FM modulator doesn't send anything through the cigar lighter plug. It broadcasts an FM signal through the air to the radio's antenna.

Do you seriously think that a radio signal goes through the cigar lighter and makes its way to the radio? If so, please explain this process. I'm ready to be amused.

You sound as stupid as ever, wiztard.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:15 PM

Go to www.newertech.com.com and look for roaid trip and I quote FM MODULATOR car radio wireless transmitter is contained with the plut into the inserts into the cigar lighter the other end plugs into your you MP3, Ipod

Quick Reply: You Can't Be Sirius