Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

Sirius Installation after purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Default Sirius Installation after purchase

I have a new E500 and am quite dissapointed to find out there is no way to add Sirius Sat Radio to the Command system. I was initially told this could be a dealer install, but now I am being told that this must be a factory installation. Even the high end after market installers I have spoken with have a problem with wired FM transmitters in the current models. Seems there is no way to splice into the FM antena, so I am left with wireless FM which is passable at best.

Does this all sound correct or does anyone have advice of how to proceed? Do you suspect that MB will eventually produce a dealer install product?

thanks,

Old 11-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Default RE: Sirius Installation after purchase

Even if the car is NOT pre-wired for SAT from factory, it is possible to get the Sirius SAT radio kit installed. MBenzNL has done SAT installs in non pre-wired cars several times now. Even for MB dealerships in California...

greetingz,

BigSis

Old 11-30-2005, 10:39 PM

I was told the same thing by my salesperson and then after I bought the car the service dept. told me it couldn't be done.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 PM

I own a 2005 E320 CDI produced in 10/2004. I was told yesterday by my dealer that only cars produced from Jan-May 2005 were pre-wired for sat. radio and could be controlled via the column.

I too am interested in what options that I have.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:53 AM

Guys (girls?), retrofitting Sirius in your cars is definitely doable. No matter when it has been produced, and no matter whether or not it is already pre-wired for SAT. If you really want to get it installed, contact Steve at MBenzNL.com.

greetingz,

BigSis

Old 12-18-2005, 01:33 PM

Alan and company,

I should have seen this thread before starting another one: " Satelite Radio Install"

Anyway, I believe hardwiring is possible to ANY car. It's a matter of getting behind the dash and column to "tap in" to the wire that goes to the cig lighter. I've been told Radioshack has a "add-a-circuit" that you can use to tap into circuits, that has a cigarette lighter adaptor on the other end that you plug your line in from the Satelite unit. But then additional work may be needed with the fuses.

Also, regarding the wireless FM, I too have less than perfect reception. You can get a FM modulator from Circuit cCity for $20. What it does is make a direct hardwire connection between the SAt. unit and your factory car radio.

This guy has a well documented process, it is not a MB, but you get the idea:
http://www2.siriusbackstage.com/foru...ic.php?t=19606

There are tons of useful info, questions, answers, from people in our situation... at www.siriusbackstage.com Install Garage forum.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:39 PM

SAT-SWB
(Hardwired FM Modulator adapter) is what gets you crystal clear satelite reception.

http://www2.siriusbackstage.com/foru...ic.php?t=22412

Old 12-28-2005, 10:10 AM

Hello:

What is the general consensus on where to get this installed (I am not even going to TRY to install this..<g&gt? The dealer or a 3rd party sound installer?

Splotto

Old 01-23-2006, 02:56 AM

I just bought a 2004 sl600 that did not have a factory sirius unit and my local mb dealer said they could order the parts (650.00) and the service department could install it (275.00) and it would be exactly like a factory unit. I ordered the parts and when they come in this week I will have it installed and post the results.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:06 PM

your mercedes dealer can do the install- they just have to create a wiring harness and connect into the most ring (fiber optics). extra work would only take about 1 hour over standard install.

Quick Reply: Sirius Installation after purchase