Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

Satelite Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Default Satelite Radio Install

Finally took the leap into Sirius Satelite Radio.
Got the Streamer GTR (black version of the BEST unit for home=car=office use, Starmate Replay....after weeks of research and doznes of forums).

$129.99 - $50 rebate= http://www.thesiriusstore.com/streamer-gtr-p-272.html

So right now, wires are all over my 2003 C320. I would like to install it more aesthetically.

Questions:

1) the 12volt power is plugged into the cig lighter. I've seen hardwired installs with a Radioshack cig lighter adaptor under the cover under the steering wheel, freeing up the mid-console cig lighter and no visible wires. How hard is this to do with a C320 by a novice? Does the process take a lot of taking apart, and fuse changing business?

2) the Streamer unit has a built in wireless FM modulator where you set your car's radio to a static empty station, then the Streamer to the same frequency, and the satelite radio comes through. However, it is not crystal clear as Satellite should be. I've heard of a FM modulator that hardwires the radio to the streamer unit... but it is done by connecting it to the back of the radio. How easy is it to pop out the dash and get at the back of the factory radio? And I have a CD changer inside the glove box... How can I pull that out? and the glove box to install the modulator behind there?

Finally:
Is this all worth it? Or should I have it professionally done? How much do such prof. installs cost? (I've spent way too much for xmas already....)