Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

Playing MP3s through Comand 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:59 AM
Default Playing MP3s through Comand 2.0

Hi guys

I have a 2001 C230K Coupe with Comand 2.0 in it (at least I think it is 2.0). I also have a 6-disc CD changer in the glove box. I would like to be able to play MP3s through the system and am wondering what options are available.

The ideal method would be to use an MP3 CD changer, but so far I have not been able to find anything that seems to be able to do that with the Comand system, mainly because of the DB2 optical link that it uses.

Another option I have found is using a Dension IceLink Plus to link an ipod to the system. They have just released a version for Mercs but I have heard that it is not so reliable at the moment due to the optical link. I have also been told that CD text is not passed through to the system which is not ideal but I can live with. Apart from that the icelink looks pretty good as it aparantly allows you to control the ipod a bit through the steering wheel controls.

My question is whether anyone knows of any solution that will allow me to use an MP3 CD changer with Comand to save me spending $800 on the icelink and and ipod.

Thanks

p.s. I am based in the Uk by the way.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Default RE: Playing MP3s through Comand 2.0

If you have the factory fitted comand in your W203, you also have access to the Auxiliary input in the glovebox. You can use that to connect an MP3 player to...

I myself don't know that much about the Dension IceLink Plus... sorry.

greetingz,

BigSis

Old 02-21-2005, 03:58 AM
rog

BigSis, where exactly is this input access in the glove compartiment? How shall I recognise it ??
I ve been loking for it for a while. My car has a factory-fitted Command with AUX.

What about compatibility! Is it a universal connection that will fit to all digital gadgets??
Thanks....

Old 02-21-2005, 07:15 AM

Rog,

The AUX input is somewhere on the right (top?) side of your glove box (if I am not mistaking). The Auxiliary Audio Input provides a standard 3.5mm stereo jack in the glovebox. This input can be used for any audio device, such as MP3 player or other portable electronics. The audio is then available over the car's speakers, and sound and volume controls are from the COMAND.

greetingz,

BigSis

Old 02-21-2005, 07:53 AM
rog

Thanks for getting back BigSis.
I have checked the glove compartment again but in vain. May be the thing is not prewired in my car!!
Thanx anyway...

Old 03-01-2005, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I have found my aux input. It is on the left of the glove box right at the front (at least I think that is it - I haven't tried it yet). I have found out more about the icelink and it sounds pretty good if not a little unreliable sometimes. If working it allows your ipod to replace the cd changer and you can then control the ipod (change tracks, select playlists etc) using the comand and steering wheel controls which is much better than simply connecting to the aux input. It also chargers the ipod which is a big bonus.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2005, 06:17 PM

I am also in the UK and really think the full Ipod integration is superb, although I have not purchased the kit yet, as I was also told that the Denison link does not allow ID3 tags/CD text. But they seemed to say that its all Mercedes audio systems that do not support CD text.

I found this interesting feature on the USA website. Seems to show CD text/Ipod text working with a Mercedes system. Does anyone know if this is system works well. Not sure about if its a better solution than the Denison one. Guess it is different if it shows text. How cool would this be:-

http://www.mbusa.com/main/container....iPod/index.jsp

Be great if anyone could tell me more about the above link and what product this is. Otherwise I could end up going with a Dension link and loose the functions of text display. Cheers.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:02 PM

You need this harness:

Part No. A 203 540 61 07

This harness connects to the C2 plug, as follows:

a) Thin-gauge black wire into pin-13
b) Thick-gauge black wire into pin-14
c) Yellow wire into pin-04
d) Brown wire into pin-05

It will provide you a mini stereo audio plug (female) for your ipod or other source of output.

I paid $28.50 USD for the harness. It is truly the most economical and flexible way to go.

Good luck.

Old 05-23-2005, 06:14 PM

I think this will only provide Audio to the system. Unlike the above item that looks like you can control the Ipod just like its a CD changer. Anyone have this kit yet?

Thanks