Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

looking to upgrade sound system in '91 560sel need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Default looking to upgrade sound system in '91 560sel need help!

hello everyone! i drive a '91 560 sel...

i have recently been given a new stereo deck for my car for my 18th birthday. I brought it to the mechanic who happens to be a good friend of the family and when he took out the existing deck to put the new one in he said it wasn't possible to do so so i am here asking you guys if this is true? I have seen many pictures on here with people who have already put aftermarket stereo parts into their cars. Is their some kind of complex system of wires in my car or does the mechanic just not know what he is talking about?

I am also looking to buy two new speakers to replace the front ones for now. Is installing them just a matter of taking out the old and wiring in the new like it is for other cars or is there more to it?

all help and tips are VERY much appreciated!

Rob

Old 04-29-2010, 10:34 PM

Your mechanic may be referring to what I just learned about the radio in my '93 190e. The cars speakers have one wire grounded and the other sent forward to the radio. Newer cars have 2 independent and ungrounded wires from the radio to the speaker.

Fix. Run wires to each speaker. The radio shop just quoted me 2 hours labor is typical. Course you can do this yourself, too.

If the radio can physically be mounted in the car, certainly it can be made to work. The only other wires involved are ignition (so the radio turns off with the key off) and +12v (so the memory stays alive in the radio remembering station settings etc). The antenna is the same and of course a ground is required. So, fix the speakers wires and your good to go.