Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

Ipod integration Command S-500!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Default Ipod integration Command S-500!

The other day while listening to the CD's in my s 500 I tried to figure out some way to make it work with an IPOD or with my Treo 755P and the 2Gig memory card.. I had heard that the FM transmitter's don't work that well if you get into an area that has a signal that corresponds with the tuned output you selected.

Well what I decided to do after reviewing the Tape Player insert systems was to install one in my S 500. When I inserted the mock cassette into the radio of course it wouldn't work because the door that closes over the tape would get jammed on the output wire.

After some careful thought I decided to open up the dash and by drilling a .5 inch hole run the wire behind the dash and have it come out in the sliding compartment in the console.

All it took was removing the torx screws located on each side of the ash tray. Then removing the plastic wood cover over the command system.

I then removed the six tox screws and moved the pulled the command system forward and let it rest on the shift ****. I pressed the eject button and when I went to close I used my finger to hold it open. It displays an error message but it remains open.

Now with a drill or blade you can cut a hole large enough for the IPOD cable connector to get through in the thin plastic just in front of the thin metal plate. I took some pictures but didn't realize that the memory card wasn't in the camera until after it was already put back together.

I ran the wire down behind the command system and on the side of the sliding compartment there is a small opening where the IPOD connector can be snaked through. Now put it back together and you have a great solution that looks clean and doesn't require a bunch of wires. Leave the IPOD on your lap and control the volume with the steering wheel volume control. You will most likely never use teh Tape player again anyway.

I used a Sony Cassette insert for my solution but I am sure that anyone would work.

Sure beats spending a lot of money on some Apple solution. Total cost is about $20.
Let me know how it works of if you have any questions.

Dean

ddilillo@gmail.com