Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

Help with rear dashcam interference with XM

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 02:37 PM
Default Help with rear dashcam interference with XM

Hey All,

I recently switched cars and moved my dashcam from a 2017 Mercedes C Class to a 2021 Mercedes GLC. The dashcam I have is a Rexing V1p front and rear camera.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H4B75YL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H4B75YL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and had it professionally hardwired using the Rexing hardwire kit for this camera. The camera worked great in the C Class, no issues. Now in the GLC whenever I turn on the camera XM cuts completely out.

I tested out a bunch of scenarios and determined that it was the rear camera causing interference with the antennae in the rear window. The closer the camera is to the window the worse it gets, the further from the window the better. If I unplug just the rear camera, everything works 100%.

I searched around and found many articles on the internet about this in all different types of cars and dashcams. It appears to be fairly common to have interference between the rear camera and the antennae when the antennae is in the rear window. From all the suggestions here is what I have tried and the results:
  • Changed the fuse location. No impact.
  • Looked at the ground but I didn’t see one the way they installed it. The fuses are not directly in the fuse box in the trunk, there is a wire coming out of one end of the fuse and into the fuse box. Essentially just extending the fuse. It shouldn’t make a difference. The other end of the fuse goes back to the unit. So it's kind of inline.
Fuse Box ---------| Fuse |------------ Unit
  • Changed the frequencies from 50 to 60 hz and back and forth. No impact.
  • Put a ferrite core on the wire within 2 inches from the rear camera. No impact
    • Looped the wire around the ferrite core so it went through twice. Little impact.
    • Added two more ferrite cores to the rear of the cable (3 total 1 looping), 1 on the other end of the cable, and 1 on the power to the front unit cable. Little more impact.
  • Started moving the rear camera around the rear glass to find a location that had the least interference. Found the upper driver side corner was best that it would reach. Mounted it there along with all the ferrite cores. It's almost listenable now. It cuts out just enough where its just annoying and I don’t want to listen to but if I had to I could. Not good enough.

So my question is, is there a solution that could work besides mounting the rear view camera at the front of the car facing out the rear window (not sure this would even work at night). Is there a good place to mount on the rear window? Is there a better dashcam that doesn’t have this issue? Any other suggestions to try?

Thanks in Advance