Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

CLK XM Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Default CLK XM Install

Just had an XM Commander added to my 2002 CLK320. I chose the XM Commander in order to make use of its Line Out connection. I have the COMAND 2.0 head unit which has the AUX input available through the mini-stereo jack in the glovebox. I had my local Good Guys do the installation, and they did a superb job. I had them mount the head unit where the ashtray is. They removed the ashtray bin and the 12V outlet, then made a faceplate that fills the space wrapped in black vinyl that matches the dash material, with the display unit centered. With the display flush-mounted to the faceplate, and the faceplate nearly flush with the front of the opening, the ashtray door still opens and closes without interference. The XM module itself is mounted under the passenger side behind the ski slope. They removed the heater vent in the passenger area that's to the left side below the glove box. This created a large enough opening to reach in and secure the XM module the inner works. The wires to the display are naturally internal to the center section, and the Line Out wire runs behind the glove box, and then comes into the glove box on the right side through a small hole in the corner, and then connects to the Aux jac via an RCA-to-Ministereo adapter. I chose to do it this way so that I could swap out the XM Aux Input with my IPOD Line Out (in the glove box) as desired. Finally, I had the cigarette lighter (AKA 12V adapter) remounted in the lower bin of the center armrest to be used for my cell phone charger, whose coil cord is then simply run up the back and into the top tray.

Sound quality is incredible. Switches on and off with the ignition. Works with the wheel's volume control, and works with the Nav voice overlay.

I'll try to get some pictures to post.

Mark

Old 05-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Default RE: CLK XM Install

I'd love to see the photo, I want to do something similar to my 2000 clk 430. Also, do you know how they removed the cigarette lighter?

Old 05-09-2005, 06:04 PM

Looks like we're cross-posting!

Some people may do these types of installs themselves, but to perfectly honest, I didn't want to risk screwing up the wood trim or anything else stupid. I paid $100 at GoodGuys for the install including remounting the 12V plug. My friend had an XM install done at CircuitCity for $50. To me, it's a no-brainer. Plus, most professional installs also include a free un-install downstream if you decide to sell the car and need to restore it to factory condition.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:18 PM

I went ahead and did it myself and am happy with the results. Some other kind sole on this site posted pictures of the antenna install and I was able to figure out the rest. I considered letting Circuit City do it, but when I looked in their install bay and saw the 18 year old kids tearing apart cars I decided it was less risky to do it myself. Works like a charm and I love the stock ticker.

I would like to know how they did the custom face plate for you though. I can't find a kit so I'm guessing the custom cut it.