Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

cell phone holder, 84 300td

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Default cell phone holder, 84 300td

there is a cell phone holder with antenna as shown inthe pictures below on my 84 300td. Any suggestoins as to what to do with it (I wont use it for my cell phone, as I have a small verizon flip-phone). does anyone knw if cell phone priviiders make a phone to use in these? thaks

Old 06-27-2006, 01:46 AM
Default RE: cell phone holder, 84 300td

Well, tonight I got bored and removed the front of the mount and customized it to hold my handheld GPS unit. I had a bike handlebar mount for the unit that I had not used, so I adapted it to go to the cell phone mount. It looks and works really well and good and cool. I suggest others do this too If you had the same issue as I did. Now I can say that i have an '84 with a GPS navigation system lol. The unit I have is a Magellan Meridian Gold. It works well outdoors, but does not have the best street maps on it. For wilderness navigation its great. I think that mostly I am just going to use it to tell me where I am incase I get lost. The only two issues are that it a) has a manual back light, therefore at night I need to turn it on, and b)does not have many streets onthe maps. The 84 300td doesnt go off road, lol.

I am not done with this though. See, It is powered by 2 AA batteries, which I use Energizer rechargables for and jsut charge them in the house when they need it. I would like to a)hook it up so that when the car starts and shuts off, so does the GPS unit b) is automaticaly chraged by the car c)has more streets on it. Now that would be pimped. Did I mention that it is a black (brown) and white (gray), not color screen?

Anyhow, if anyone out there also has an old cell phone mount on their mercedes and doesent use it but wants to do soemthing nifty with it, Ill be glad to help. Let me know how it goes and Ill give u some advice along the way. BTW I STRONGLY suggest this project if you already have the cell phone mount already. For about $200 you can have GPS navigation in your old school MB. The biggest cost is the GPS unit. You can get simple and really nice ones, and the best is that they are handheld, and only mounted in the car so you can take em out and use them for other things.

with diesel,

travis

Old 07-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Default RE: cell phone holder, 84 300td

okay people,will atleats one person leave a response or reply of some type????

you must admit it is pretty cool that i turned a cell holder into a GPS unit so now I can say that my 84 has a GPS navigation system. and then peoepl will say "they had those in 84???"