Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

190e rattle big time!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Default 190e rattle big time!!!!

right have a 190e cossy and i love my bass.problem im having is ive fitted new stereo,amp and 2 x 12" subs.sounded great in my old car but now i cant hear any bass at all.also abit concerned about the petrol tank being soo close to the electrics.......am i safe? could i possibly cut a hole in the shelf or behind the seats to allow air circulation?anyone had the same problem?

Old 04-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Default RE: 190e rattle big time!!!!

To get rid of bass rattles, apply sound dampening to the trunk lid and to the panels. Dynamat will work, but is expensive. Look to other alternatives like Fatmat or B-Quiet which is alot cheaper. You can also remove the medical box to allow more sound to flow through. If you want to install a subwoofer into the rear shelf, you can cut a hole out. I have seen people with a 10" sub and 12" sub before. Another option is you can make a box and port it through the rear shelf. The gas tank will not harm any electronics.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:58 PM

thats cool. i was worried about the electrics effecting the fuel tank...big bang!! ive only just realised it has a first aid kit located in the rear shelf..smart! i could get rid of that and build a boot build with controlled airflow going through into the car from that hole.yer have just been looking at prices of dynamat.....not cheap but if i feel rich one week ill get that stuff and then when im poor get the cheap stuff for panels i dont think will be that effected.
thankyou for you help.
ben

Old 04-27-2005, 11:02 PM

One more tip, if you put a subwoofer in the first aid kit without a box, make sure that the sub is a "free air" sub. Pioneer makes "free air" subs. If you use a box, then any 10" or 12" sub will fit if you cut the metal out. I have also seen 2 8" subs in the rear deck. You can also replace the factory rear speakers with 6x9"s if you cut the metal out so the magnets clear.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:45 PM

have taken the first aid box thing out and believe it or not my boxed 2x12" subs sound perfect.it must have been the first aid tray rattling ans stopping the air movement into the car.
thankyou
ben[8D]

Old 04-29-2005, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: cossy190

have taken the first aid box thing out and believe it or not my boxed 2x12" subs sound perfect.it must have been the first aid tray rattling ans stopping the air movement into the car.
thankyou
ben[8D]

Thats good to hear. [sm=smiley4.gif] Most people cover the rear shelf with carpet to cover up the hole when the first aid kit is removed.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:07 AM

hi all as i am new to this forum.a few self details. ilve in london, england, am a proud owner of merc 190e ( not as big as the 2.6 but loved dearly. i have been trying to set up my rear shelf with a 2way componant set. size 6.5inch mid/base + tweeters. i found this missing so i started to look around to see if i could get a custom made one (trying to cut a long story short) anyway the bottom line is i read on a site that there was a company in germany that makes them. it tuened out to be a person who makes them. he is not backed by any company and was refusing to send them out of germany. after a lot of 1 finger typing ( nearly 65 emails) he finally decided to to business with me. the shelf comes proffessionally made with a 3way system rated at 1000watts. when i get myself a digi cam i will post pics of shelf and tell how they sound as i have not put it in the car yet, hopefully this week-end. they are not cheap but is well worth the buy. no need to cut into the metal, perfect fit using 1st aid box to mount bass speakers. not sure if this is right place to ask but london we cannot get kick panels can anyone help.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: amplex999

hi all as i am new to this forum.a few self details. ilve in london, england, am a proud owner of merc 190e ( not as big as the 2.6 but loved dearly. i have been trying to set up my rear shelf with a 2way componant set. size 6.5inch mid/base + tweeters. i found this missing so i started to look around to see if i could get a custom made one (trying to cut a long story short) anyway the bottom line is i read on a site that there was a company in germany that makes them. it tuened out to be a person who makes them. he is not backed by any company and was refusing to send them out of germany. after a lot of 1 finger typing ( nearly 65 emails) he finally decided to to business with me. the shelf comes proffessionally made with a 3way system rated at 1000watts. when i get myself a digi cam i will post pics of shelf and tell how they sound as i have not put it in the car yet, hopefully this week-end. they are not cheap but is well worth the buy. no need to cut into the metal, perfect fit using 1st aid box to mount bass speakers. not sure if this is right place to ask but london we cannot get kick panels can anyone help.
I know exactly what you are talking about. Id rather just keep the stock rear shelf and install speakers. Of course to fit 6.5's or 6x9's, you would have to cut some metal for the speakers to fit. To answer your question, I have never seen any kick panels for the 190. Most people custom make kick panels using fiberglass or bondo and etc.