Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Radiator removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Default Radiator removal

Ok this is driving me crazy. I have a radiator leak and need to replace it. I got all of the hoses etc disconnected. I also removed the top bolts that hold the condenser and radiator together. After removing these, the radiator swung towards the engine and I thought, this is going to be really easy. Well no matter what I do the radiator will not lift or drop out. It appears the bottom of the radiator has a molded plastic mount on each side that has rubber in it and the condense sits in this. Do I have to remove the condense along with the radiator? I'd hate to have to loosen the condenser pipes and lose the AC coolant. I might be able to just loosen the pipe mounts that might then be able to lift the condense up a little and separate the two from each other. Am I any where close on my thinking. ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Update
a.m. 10/28/11

Finally got the radiator removed. The condenser mount did need to be unattached so it can be raised and then push down on the radiator, then push back and lift out. Maybe this will help someone else that's contemplating removing their radiator themselves. Had I known the condenser thing It would have taken me less than an hour to remove it, probably closer to 30 minutes. Now to find the best price on a OEM Behr radiator :-)

Marty

Last edited by manross; 10-28-2011 at 11:27 AM.