General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Blower Motor Removal - steps & pics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Default Blower Motor Removal - steps & pics?

Have a 1992 190E with a problem blower, sometimes it works - sometimes not. Sluggish operation & squeeling noise off & on. I got to it once but could only partially get the front lid open enough to squirt some WD40 on the cage (clearance?). Any tricks or tips on full removal (illustrations - pics) so I can get this right? Thanks

MD

Old 12-10-2008, 04:07 AM
Default RE: Blower Motor Removal - steps & pics?

I find that I am having the same problem on my 1993 190e 2.3L. The blower is making such a horrid noise when turned on to the highest or second highest levels. With the Canadian winter coming, it woudl be nice to have a solution to this problem.

Any idea what is the cause of it? It dosn't sound broken, more just "off it's tracks" or needing some oil.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 PM

Download the free service manual found by a search on mercedesshop.com for "manual download" and it gives a step by step. I don't have the www. with me - it's quite long- but ask if you can't find it and I'll look it up. The bearings are dry causing the noise. I took mine out and lubedit about a month ago with spray white grease and it's still working OK. The motor is located under the hood below the wiper motor.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:11 AM

jimandsuzy

Thanks for the tip. Check out my post for a video of the issue I am having, maybe you can let me know if its the same sounding problem as you had.

https://mercedesforum.com/m_114176/m.../tm.htm#114176

Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 PM

Mine did not sound like that. Yours sounds like something is rubbing on the blower wheel. I think you'll still have to remove the stuff under the hood like the manual shows to get at the blower to clear whatever it is.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 AM

Yeah, I don't think it is broken either. I use it as little as possible to not aggrivate the problem even more.

I actually called around to some of the mechanics me and my family know, and one of them said he has done a job like this before on a 190e, so I am probably going to take it to him. He said to fix the issue, I am looking at about $200-250 total for the work. This is in comparison to what the local Benz dealership offered, which was a 5 hour job at 120 per hour and that is just labour, not including parts and more.

I'm thinking of taking it to the guy in a couple days, what do you guys think? Decent price for $250 max no? That's for the whole job, labour and parts.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:24 PM

Its easy getting to blower motor 1/2-1 hr removel avg

-remove rubber seals on firewall L&R side ,plastic debriscreen, now wiper unitis exposed.
-below wiper motor push wires foward and seperate vacuum lines for clearance.
-loosen mounting bolts to wiper unit (4) i think
-now the fun part wiggling unit out careful not to crack windshield.
-with wiper removed blowermotor box is exposed take screwdriver and pullback 8 metal clips
lid is ready to come off
have at it

Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 PM

Here's the illustration:
I'd be surprised if your mechanic can replace with a new motor for $250 installed. Let us know how that goes.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:44 PM

In the link below is a picture of location of blower motor fuse.
It took me hours to find this thing. Like a snake it was right in front of me.
The picture is from a 1988 300e
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...lowerfuse1.jpg"

Old 12-17-2011, 10:02 PM

The Hains manual says to undo the 4 bolts from the firewall/bulkhead and remove it from in front of the blower motor cover, thus creating room to slide the cover off. However, my 93 190E has 3 bolts per side, the lowest not easy to access, and there are quite a few tubes/hoses/connections running through this bulkhead. If the blower motor cover could be removed by removing the wiper assembly only, this would certainly make the job easier. Planning on finding out in the coming days.

PS. I had good heat, then clicking behind glove box area, accompanied by intermittent whining, before it suddenly all quit last night. Now no heat on any setting.