Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

has anyone used ACETONE in their mercedes diesel to improve MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Default has anyone used ACETONE in their mercedes diesel to improve MPG?

I've read a lot about this , and I wanted to know if anyone has done this on their mercedes diesels and could tell me what they have noticed.
I've read a lot about people commenting on drasitc improvements in MPG and also performance.. and these aren't from ads or anything these are from real people doing case studies on the subject etc.

Supposedly 2oz. of acetone in a diesel engine per 10gal of diesel fuel is optimal.

The problem i've read about is water getting into the fuel. The article I read suggets using a water separating filter in place of the spin off fuel filter. Does anone know where I can find a hi-quality water separating filter to use in my car (350sdl). Are there any other precautions needed to be taken when using acetone in a diesel mercedes?

Im particularly looking for people with first hand experience on the subject but welcome anybody who knows anything about the subject,

regards and thanks in advance!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Default RE: has anyone used ACETONE in their mercedes diesel to improve MPG?

I can second that. I've tried many mixtures in 4 different vehicles.... 2 diesel, 2 gas. No appreciable difference.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:20 AM

Interesting topic. I never heard of it. A quick google search came up with this link. Check it out.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

Old 06-14-2007, 09:18 PM

They tried this on an episode of Mythbusters witha gas engine, and it made no difference in mileage. On the same episode, they ran straight WVO in an older diesel benz. The acetone did nothing......

Old 06-15-2007, 03:08 AM

Its really a bad idea all around. With a diesel engine, the engine relies on the diesel itself to help lubricate the cylinder walls and such to help protect against gaulling and scratches on the cylinder walls, along with the engine oil of course. Diesel engines are usually not machines to the same tighter tolerances as gasoline engines, because its not totally necessary. Putting acetone or anything else in your diesel only reduces the viscosity of the diesel, thus reducing the added lubrication diesel offers. Its just not a good idea.