Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 E320 4matic CV boots

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Default 2004 E320 4matic CV boots

I just completed a brake job on my 04' E320 4matic and was dissapointed to see the outer CV boots were cracked. I say cracked since I can see the rubber is basically like disintegrated and has failed on the small side of the boot right where it meets the shaft. (more newer Mb quality issues)

Does anyone have the procedure for replacing the boots / removing the axle formthe wheel hub?

Also I'm looking at a special aftermarket boot that is made of a high stretch silicone compound that can be stretched over (with a special tool) without removing the CV boots from the axle. These boots apparently fit a majority of cars due to their stretch properties and last longer than stock. Also MB only seels the outer boots, where this boot type can be used on both innner and outer CVs. Of course the joint must still be pulled from the wheel hub, but the axle doesn't necessarily have to be removed from the car, or the CVs themselves dissasembled..

What was also alarming was whenI was at the Mb dealer today the parts tech told me that they often replace the steering knuckles on W211 when doing CV boots / joints!!!!!! Are these new cars that bad that in order to do a CV boot you remove the steering knuckle attachement and the knuckle is now toast, or are the MB dealer techs gorillas that just damage the knuckles when taking them off?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Default RE: 2004 E320 4matic CV boots

Sorry to hear about the cv boot issue and the "steering knuckle"....is this a tie rod end or control arm or are the techs being vague. I am on my 4th E-320 wagon and it is an '04 and I must say that the quality and durability has decreased exponentially. The same parts that lasted 100k fail at 50-60K mine has a bad upper control control arm and balljoint...oh well just bad Chrysler parts..because this car has a rack and pinion and any steering "knuckle" would refer to the old drag link/pitman arm of a different era the boots are not a big issue...the question is are you getting accurate advise? P.S., how are the electrics doing? Regards, Bob.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Default RE: 2004 E320 4matic CV boots

Hi. The parts guy and also a service tech said "they normally replace the steering knuckle when they do a CV boot job"!!!!! In the interim I have gotten the Star service DVD and also spoke to another Mercedes tech (independent). He told me that as long as the ball joints are separated carefully with the right tool the steering knuckle souldn't have to be replaced. He feels the techs at that shop are doing a butcher job when taking everything apart.

Also in the interim I have found an automotive supplier who makes a super stretchy very high quality silicone CV boot that stretches over the outer CV joint. In practice, you cut off the old CV boots and with the use of a cone tool the new inner and outer boots slip over the CV joints. This only requires you to remove the steering knuckle and not remove the axle from the car or take apart the CVs from the axle so saves lots of time. AlsoMercedes only sells the outer CV boots, not the inner! These boots fit 99% of all cars and they have a lot of references who have used them. I should receive them today and I will report onthe success or failure in using them.

I agree with you that the quality and maintenance on these newer cars have gone up dramatically! Benz is going to continue to lose loyal fans. If I compare the quality and longevity of my current car to a mid 90s'sand 99 E class I have had its a progressive drop over the model years. Sad!