Wheels/Tires Need custom rims? Have a tire question? Come in and let's talk.

Cheap Mercedes Rims ..

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Default Cheap Mercedes Rims ..

I was passing by Sharjah in United Arab Emirates the other day (a few KM's far from Dubai) ..
And there I found rims that are so cheap to the point that all 4 Mercedes rims can cost you $260 only .. Where is in some places .. you can buy one rim by that price!

Now .. We don't know if those are original or not .. They are just being manufactured in a factory just like how the original rims been manufactured .. Only difference is that they're made in Malaysia, Taiwan etc etc ..

Now my question is .. How can those rims affect your car ?
Is there a possibility that they can fall from the car for example .. ? Or they can break apart ?

By the way .. The rims look so original and look as good as the original ones that we see in the showrooms

Please share your views ..

Old 11-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Cheap Mercedes Rims ..

Having spent the majority of my career in the aerospace industry,I can say the biggest, yetleast obvious cuts in quality would be in the alloy itself or the aging practice. For example, high property alloys can cost as much as five times more than good old 6061. There is nothing wrong with 6061; it is a great material for wheels, in that it can be hardened and welded if needed, but how would you know if you were getting real 6061 with good properties and aging, or counterfeit scrap aluminum with poor properties and no aging. You could buy a rim, have your local metalurgist cut it up and test it, or just buy the wheels and see how they hold up. Do they corrode quickly? Do they hold their shape when hitting a bump? Do they fit properly? Do they shake? I cant say either way what they are selling. I have noticed that even factory stock wheels for our honda odyssey quickly developed IGC and surface corrosion for example, and corrosion leads to failure.
I have had top results with MB factory wheels and satisfactory results with AMG wheels, but in most cases you get what you pay for if you buy from a reputable source. The price is tempting; if you do buy them look for proper fit, vibration, corrosion and roundness over time.