Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Is Willie Nelson...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Default RE: Is Willie Nelson...

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

Sure. That makes sense, but I don't believe what you described is limited so much to artists. There are far more people who experiment than there are artists.
Well, I was generalizing. No, the trait certainly isn't exclusive to artists, just more likely. Strange, isn't it, that we think we know entertainers on some level exclusively from their work, then find ourselves shocked by behavior that isn't consistent with our characterizations. We all do it, but it's kinda silly when you stop and think about it. Sexual preference, political views -- when it comes right down to it, I really don't want to know.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:55 AM

... the trait certainly isn't exclusive to artists, just more likely.
I still disagree that it's more likely. It's just more publicized if a celebrity is involved.

Don't we "know" whomever we know exclusively from something they do? Their work, their actions, whatever. We're shocked when we find out about the serial killer who lives in our neighborhood, the cop in our city who robs banks, the teacher at the local school who molests our children, etc.

Geez. Just look at the Postal Service if you want to find a significant number of contrarians in a specific profession.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

I still disagree that it's more likely.
Tell that to Johnny Weir.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:16 AM

Why would API & UPI and the TV networks publish pics of a gay auto shop student bent over a car fender at the high school changing a dirty air filter?

You're saying that most artists are gay or most gays are artists. That's stereotyping. What about male flight attendants or female gym teachers? Shouldn't you include them as more likely to be gay? That's what I'm disagreeing with, not that Johnny Weir in particular is likely to be gay for instance.

Do all artists have either a dormant or active gay gene?

Old 02-18-2006, 11:31 AM

No, I'm saying that artistic types (not entertainers necessarily, but people with a proclivity toward creativity and artistry) tend to be more open-minded than non-artists. That open-mindedness would generally lend itself to a higher degree of deviant behavior. In this instance, deviant behavior might include a heterosexual individual seeking out a homosexual experience. In others, it might translate into communal living arrangements, unusual religious beliefs, flamboyant attire, etc.). It's a generalization, and one that is borne of my personal experience and observation.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:56 AM

I don't see any middle ground on this one. No biggie.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

I met plenty of "manly men" football players that are gay and or just recently "came out the closet" that doesn't fit into the stereotypical gay schematics. And then I've met some people that most people would swear up and down is gay turn out to be insanely homophobic. It's hard to tell. But humans to tend to judge people on outside appearances and hold strong to that judgement even if it's not always correct.

A guy with cornrows, gold teeth in a cadillac with large rims and a booming system is usually pegged as a thug.
A guy with a Mercedes is pegged as one with money. (the car might not even be his.)
A skinny guy with a soft spoken voice glasses and not into violence is pegged as nerd.
Old people are typically pegged as uncool, lame, old fashioned, and a person that doesn't know how to party.
Muscular guy with the tank top is usually pegged as a jock or jerk or the other varients.
That cute chick that turns you down is assumed to be concieted or not interested in guys.

And list goes on...

Old 02-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BlackWolf

That cute chick that turns you down is assumed to be concieted or not interested in guys.
No, shes just a b*tch.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:12 PM

I met plenty of "manly men" football players that are gay and or just recently "came out the closet" that doesn't fit into the stereotypical gay schematics. And then I've met some people that most people would swear up and down is gay turn out to be insanely homophobic. It's hard to tell. But humans to tend to judge people on outside appearances and hold strong to that judgement even if it's not always correct.

A guy with cornrows, gold teeth in a cadillac with large rims and a booming system is usually pegged as a thug.
A guy with a Mercedes is pegged as one with money. (the car might not even be his.)
A skinny guy with a soft spoken voice glasses and not into violence is pegged as nerd.
Old people are typically pegged as uncool, lame, old fashioned, and a person that doesn't know how to party.
Muscular guy with the tank top is usually pegged as a jock or jerk or the other varients.

And list goes on...
That's whats so beautiful about haveing "Gay-dar" like I do. If you don't have gaydar, you have to muddle through all those physical signals.

My feelingl is that there arn't as many gays out there as the gay lobby would have us believe. Gay rights folks frequently quote 10% of the pop. as being gay. However, if poles are to be believed-and why shouldn't they- then it is more like 1%-2% and most of those live in San Francisco (just kidding about San Fan)
Men's Health Magazine, Feb. 2006 polled 7000 women and 5000 men regading sexual preference. Results: 1% of women and 2% of men appreciate those of the same sex-in a way that makes me gag.
Before you pillory the poll, I've seen this number come up in all polls ever since I can remember.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:53 PM

Judging by outer appearances is a survival instinct. We all do it all the time, whether we want to admit it or not. It becomes repulsive sometimes in a social or political situation, but in a survival situation we do it automatically. We constantly identify threats and non-threats. We run away from threats and accept non-threats.

Quick Reply: Is Willie Nelson...