Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Why is Mel Gibson's misbehavior such big news?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Default Why is Mel Gibson's misbehavior such big news?

What motivates the news media (and those who find Mel's drunk driving so significant) to make such a big deal of his misbehaving?
I'm not saying it was a good thing Gibson was driving drunk at 85mph, but no one was killed or injured (this time) so why is it such big news?

I'll take a stab at it. Character assassination because he's an outspoken Christian. Perhaps not. Maybe it's just that he's so famous, some people feel better about themselves if they can bring him down a notch or two?
Or, do you think it really should be big news.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Default RE: Why is Mel Gibson's misbehavior such big news?

Mr. Gibson picked up a reputation as an anti-semite in certain circles after his Passion movie, and his anti-jewish rant served to cement the suspicion in the minds of many. Do you think this has been a significantly bigger story than the Glen Campbell arrest? They seem about the same to me, but then Campbell is a local....

Old 08-03-2006, 05:04 PM

That's interesting, because I'm not even aware of Glen Campbell's arrest. What did he do?

Re: Gibson

I agee with you on the anti-semetic flap; that is the story, and it does make me re-evaluate the dude, but not his movie, Passion However, the tv news I've seen rarley covers that angle.
So, did he spout off some anti-semetic comments to the cop after he was stopped or what?

Old 08-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Mel Gibson Rant 1

Mel Gibson Rant 2

Mr. Campbell was stopped for a DUI a couple years back -- big news around here anyways...

Old 08-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

It's all about him being a celebrity.

Really, truely deep down, most average American could care less if a regular smoe joe get caught in a DUI, or when something positive happens. But when it's a celebrity and dirt, all ears are open.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:53 PM

Yup, and he isn't exactly some second-rate has-been celebrity either...

Old 08-04-2006, 02:55 PM

After reading what he said, I'm still confused as to why he said it. I do believe his apology is sincere; but I don't really know. It's just that when he's not drunk, he doesn't go around makeing life difficult for Jews. So why do those thoughts come to his mind?
Perhaps it is because his father, a reported anti-semetic, really is anti-semetic and Mel grew up hearing rants like what he spouted to the cop. Not sure.
But GermanStar and BlackWolf are right. Because he is a celebrity (and not a washed up one) "all ears open".

Old 08-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Am i the only one here that could care less what Mel Gibson said or did? He's a good actor at least in Braveheart and the Patriot he does his job gets paid. What he rambles or does in his free time isn't my problem or worry. I say the middle-east mess is a bit more important.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:40 PM

What he (Gibson) rambles or does in his free time isn't my problem or worry.
I agree with you, but that is exactly why I posted this thread. Why is it such big news? However, I did show some interest in his anti-semetic comments-so I'm guilty of some "celebrity" following. But still, in my opinion, the media has blown it way out of proportion and I just think its interesting in a sick way.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, I'm glad there was no car accident. But now he's facing a media crucifiction.

It's funny that we never hear when Corey Feldman takes a drink. I quess its not considered news after an actor confesses on national tv that they spent their entire fortune on drugs and alchohol

C

Quick Reply: Why is Mel Gibson's misbehavior such big news?