Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Want to buy a Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006 | 02:29 AM
Default Want to buy a Mercedes

I want to buy a really reliable car but I don't have a ton of money. I am going to show my lack of experience but, I am looking to buy a late 80's to mid 90's Mercedes 6-cylinder. My original idea was to spend about $3000-4000 on a used one and then put about another $1000-2000 into making sure it's mechanically sound. I realize that these are old cars and a friend of mine warned me about little things such as the electric sun roof (could be up to $3000 to fix if it breaks). I just wanted to know if there was anything I should keep in mind while shopping around or if I should just change my target car altogether. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2006 | 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Want to buy a Mercedes

Try to stay under 100k miles if going with a v6, gas powered. Also consider diesels, they'll last a lot longer despite higher fuel costs.

Old 03-20-2006 | 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mercedes did not use a V6 until the 97 or 98 E320.They used an inline 6. U dont have to stay way from more than 100,000 miles. I have a 560sel with 147k and a 300sdl Diesel with 296k miles. If ur worried about keeping them from getting expensive stay away from ones with power accessories such as power seats, heated seats these are the things that get expensive sounds like a good car for you would be a 190e or 190d or a 300e or 260e or 300d. I got my sunroof fixed on my 560 for $1000 but that was only cause i wanted it to work if u dont care if the sunroof works then you should not have a problem. Same with the heated or power seats if they stop working and u dont need them then dont fix them. And another thing miles is not the main problem as u may or may not know its how the car was cared for and dealer maintained means little if it was not very often i work on my own cars usually and would rather buy a car that was owner maintained then dealer maintained cause i feel if u own it u will put more pride into the work it needs.

Old 03-20-2006 | 07:26 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I have been looking for a diesel engine so I can use bio-diesel or greasel on it. I have done a lot of research on this aspect but was also curious to know if anyone had any tips for this as well as anything else. From my understanding Mercedes' last for a long, long time. I have been spending money on continuously fixing cars for about five years now and really just want one I can maintain at a reasonable cost.

Old 03-22-2006 | 07:13 PM

If you want to buy a very reliable car then buy a Toyota or Honda. Asian cars are the most reliable worldwide. Now, if you want to buy a car that is generally reliabale, safe and fun to drive, then buy a German car. I've owned my '99 C280 Sport for 9 months and am completely happy with it. However, I'm aware that there are some very expensive parts (mostly electronic) that can go bad. It's a risk I'm willing to take. Also, if you buy an older Mercedes, you'll want to find a good independent repair shop. They can save you a lot of money in two ways. If they are honest they won't try and fix something that isn't broken and their prices will be lower. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2006 | 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

You forgot Subaru. Subaru would be my first pick of an Asian car hands down. Thats all my parents drove as there main cars from 1978 till my dad got rid of his 88 wagon in 2004. Excellent cars i cant say anything bad about them. Its just they dont make a large luxury sedan or a true off-road vehicle.

Old 03-23-2006 | 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Subaru has become the "I'm a tree-hugging liberal who will vote for Kerry again...look how I fit in. I'm cool. See how cool I am? I'm with it! my car has more bumper stickers than yours does..." hippie wannabe crowd. The poor man's Volvo, the replacement for the oil dripping VW bus. Oh, they are great quality cars, that I wouldn't be caught dead in. Too bad.

Old 03-23-2006 | 11:51 AM

Subaru has become the "I'm a tree-hugging liberal who will vote for Kerry again...look how I fit in. I'm cool. See how cool I am? I'm with it! my car has more bumper stickers than yours does..." hippie wannabe crowd. The poor man's Volvo, the replacement for the oil dripping VW bus. Oh, they are great quality cars, that I wouldn't be caught dead in. Too bad.
I love it! That's great BikerDrew. Yea, I should have put the 'Roos in there, but my expirence is with Toyota and I seem to recall more Hondas and Toyotas topping Consumer Reports' reliability charts for years and years. Perhaps 'Roos are in there too. I'll take your word for their reliability because I have heard owners brag on them. I admit to liking the new Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon. It comes with 250-hp in a 2.5-liter DOHC intercooled, turbocharged boxer engine. It has sporty handling. However, at $32K there are a lot of other cars to consider.
Hey, BikerDrew, the Volvo is the classic liberals car, but do conservatives have a classic image car? I would think it would be something like a Chevy Suburban?

Old 03-23-2006 | 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

A Ford/Lincoln/Mercury product

Old 03-23-2006 | 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Cadillac Seville. Ford F350 Dually, Excursion. I don't think your friends would accept you as a liberal if you drive a Hummer either. If the Conservative is a cop, than any '90's Camaro will do.

Or, any car or truck without forty bumper stickers and has a "baby on board" sign displayed.. How is it that all Kerry-Edwards stickers look new? Maybe that is the part on the car they wash and wax.

Quick Reply: Want to buy a Mercedes