Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Is there a difference between wearing fur and wearing leather.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default Is there a difference between wearing fur and wearing leather.

Just thought this might be an interesting point since I've noticed some people refuse to wear fur because they say it's cruel and inhumane to kill the animal no matter what the reason but will wear a leather (authentic) jacket and or have leather seats, shoes, and other leather products.
Anyone have any input on this?

Old 09-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Is there a difference between wearing fur and wearing leather.

Well i feel that animals are here to serve us so i dont have a problem with either but cow hides are saved from the butchering of animals to eat and the animals used for furs are killed only for that reason. So in their minds leather is ok.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: mbz300sdl

Well i feel that animals are here to serve us so i dont have a problem with either but cow hides are saved from the butchering of animals to eat and the animals used for furs are killed only for that reason. So in their minds leather is ok.
I have to somewhat agree. If the animal is being destroyed only for it's fur, than I say it's wrong, but I'm not going to go join a "Save the Animals" group. What I find ironic is the same people who decry the killing of animals are mostly the same people who don't bat an eye at abortion. Anyway...I don't want to get OT, I'm just sayin'.

Back to the point. Cowhide/leather is, to me, using everything this God-given creature has to offer. As mbz300sdl stated...the animals are here to serve us...not the other way around. But to add to that, this doesn't give us (humanity) the right to abuse it...but we will because we're never satisfied.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with the two above, if the hidesa from cows are just going to be thrown out anyways, then it makes sense to use them in cars or as jackets. Fur on the other hand I've never been able to figure out why people wear, it looks aweful and the idea is stupid. You could have fake fur and it would cost a fraction of the cost and still look the same, plus you would be saving an animal.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Me personally think there is nothing wrong with either fur or leather, but I wish there was a way to get the fur without killing the animal.

To me, synthetic furs of these days feel just as real as the real thing, but we all know people will pay a bundle just to say tha they paid a bundle for it. It's like a status symbol. Slap a high price tag on anything, make it look nice, get a couple of celebrities to endorse it, make it seem exclusive and bam, you have a seller even if the equivalent is lot cheaper.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: BlackWolf

Me personally think there is nothing wrong with either fur or leather, but I wish there was a way to get the fur without killing the animal.
Works for sheep.