Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

STOLEN new 320 cdi

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Default STOLEN new 320 cdi

The guy I know from the net, living in Montreal got his new Mercedes stolen.
From what I know, he waited for delivery almost a year and enjoyed 42 MPG for only few months, before it is gone.
I've been told, that the only way to steal my Mercedes cars (own AWD-s) is with forklift. Was the BS given to me, or there is more to it.
Now, where most likely the car is now?

Old 09-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Default RE: STOLEN new 320 cdi

Any FWD or AWD or automatic transmission car should always be put on a tow truck, as towing it on the ground cout cause considerable damage to these system. Especially the FWD and AWD, you can get away with an automatic rear wheel as long as the tranny is in neutral. But the stealing types use forklift as it is faster, Repo man use them also

Old 09-28-2005, 03:10 PM

Towing a car with an auto trans in neutral will ruin the trans. Doesn't matter if it's FWD, AWD, or RWD.

A flatbed tow truck with a tilting bed and a winch. That's all you need. The winch just drags the vehicle onto the bed. You don't have to do anything but hook a strap to the vehicle.

There was also that case where an M-B dealer service employee who had access to M-B replacement keys was part of a stolen car ring. He's not the only dishonest person on earth.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:25 PM

I understand that you can drag any vehicle on the flatbed, but that requires lot of space and supposable, when Mercedes is tilted past certain degree, the alarm go off.
Or have MB owners be lied to?

Old 09-28-2005, 07:03 PM

If there's not enough space, the thief may move on to the next car. No loss to the thief. They don't spend a lot of time on a single car, unless it's a very special car.

It doesn't take as much space as you think. If you or I were loading our car, we would need lots of space and we would be careful. A thief with a tow truck is likely part of a ring that is going to part out the car. They don't care if half of it gets torn up trying to get it on the truck. They'll drag it sideways down the road until there's enough space to get it on the truck, if they really want the car.

An alarm won't stop a thief. They just make some of them work a little faster.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:52 AM

Now you make me wonder Lugnut ...

Old 09-29-2005, 04:10 AM

I know you need help to get your mind going. Otherwise, you just sit there with a stupid look on your face and staring out into space. I'm glad I could help out.

Thank you. Please drive through.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Administrator

when did it get stolen? once it has been a week or so, with no sign of the car..especially a higher end model like a MB, the odds are good that pieces of that car are all over the country...a friend of mine had his college beater car stolen and the cops told him that the odds were good that they would find it...since it wasnt a nice car, or an expensive car, there is no market value for it, and it was likely that some hoodrat or crackhead just needed a ride...they thoguht that they woudl find it somewhere, wrecked, and about 2 weeks later, they did...and it was BEAT up. but a benz, no one steals that because they dont want to walk...

that really does suck...no one hs respect for others property anymore....good luck to him.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

...no one hs respect for others property anymore....good luck to him.
Actually in this case they did.... kind off... leaving his briefcase and cell-phone on parking spot, where the car was stolen. They were able to disconnect tracking device in very short time, so had to be highly train professionals.
So much for spending thousands of $ for car protection.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:00 AM

where was he keeping the car ? on street?

Quick Reply: STOLEN new 320 cdi