Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Should You Trust All Authorized Mercedes Service Centers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Default Should You Trust All Authorized Mercedes Service Centers?

I'm wondering if there is any truth to the rumor that some service departments make adjustments to vehicles that make it necessary to continue bringing the vehicle in for expensive repairs as a money-making scheme.

I took vehicle to Mercedes dealer. They replaced the mass air flow sensor (or air mass sensor?) which I'm told was related to the illuminated check engine light. My invoice stated that tech performed SDS test and found codes P0171 and P0174 in engine control module.

During the same visit, a stop lamp switch was replaced....related to the problem stated in an earlier post indicating that I could not shift my vehicle out of park after seeing the BAS, ABS, and ESP lights come on. I later learned that my brake lights were not working (and caused the car to lock into park for safety reasons) and, thanks to the responses on this forum, I was able to take the vehicle to the service center with some up front indication of what was wrong. (Thanks!) About 16 months ago, I had a brake lamp switch replaced. Is this something different or the same as the stop lamp switch? Is it normal that a repair is this category was necessary 16 months after the first repair?

After driving the car home from the service center (about 15 miles) and parking it overnight, I started it the next morning and felt a hard jerk when I shifted it into Reverse. I drove it down the street for 1.5 miles and it would not go into the higher gears. I'm not sure what gear it was stuck in. So, I pulled into a parking lot and attempted to put the car in park and I could only get the car into Neutral or back in Drive. I could not put it in Reverse or Park. I put it in Neutral, put my emergency brake on and turned the car off for about 10 seconds. I then started it back up and it went into gear fine. I drove it back home without any apparent problems. I drove it about 70 miles over two days before I could get another appointment with the dealer and noticed no problems with shifting. When I did get the appointment to see if this problem was carried over from the car being stuck in Park while the brake lights were out, they checked it out and said this is a new problem and that I now need a new shifter. I am concerned that something might have causes this problem while at the dealer because I wasn't having this problem until I brought it home from being repaired for the above-mentioned items.

My right side catalytic converter was relaced at 53,000 miles and my left side catalytic converter needed to be replaced at 85,000 miles. I had bearings replaced at 53,000 miles also.

The shop also mentioned a rear seal leak.

I have been experiencing a rubbing feeling near my front tires that gets more pronounced when I slow the vehicle down. It is noticeable at slower speeds and upon initial acceleration, even without the brakes being on. Mercedes mentioned that new tires are needed and that this is possibly the cause.

I have problems with headlamp lights burning out often and the casings where the bulbs fit show some burn damage.

A few other repairs were also suggested by the service department.

Does this seem to be a lot of problems with a 2001 E320? I purchased it in 2004 with 53,000 miles on it.

Because all of the suggested repairs add up to several thousand dollars, I indicated that I am not able to take care of all of them at once. Some very hefty and necessary medical expenses have been coming out of pocket for periodic medical treatment and that is priority. I just am not able to pay for all of the auto repairs at this time. When I had the air mass sensor and stop lamp switch replaced, I told them that I could not get the rest of the work done at this time. They tried to coerce me into having more done but I said I could only authorize the two repairs. Then I drove it home and had the problem with the shifter.

I told them now that I cannot afford to get the shifter replaced at this time. After more attempted coersion, I told them I could not do it at this time. I also complained that they were now trying to charge me a couple hundred dollars for diagnostic when I was told over the phone that I would NOT be charged for them to look into the shifter problem since I experienced it right after my other repairs. They were adamant about charging me, saying they had to spend time looking into the problem, but I told them I explained to them up front that I could not afford to incur any additional charges at this time. They said they understood and would look at my car at not cost, but then said they had to charge me for diagnostics after I indicated that I could not get the new work done at this time. They told me they would have to see what would happend and that I would then have to wait until the next day to pick up my car because the tech had to "put everything back together". I am now very nervous that this incident will cause them to make some negative adjustments to my shifter so it will worsen to the point of needing to be replaced at an earlier time.

Am I being paranoid that some shops would loosen parts or make some type of adjustments to parts of the vehicle to make further repair necessary so they can make their money? I have heard this in the past and notice that more problems with my vehicle surface after I've left the shop and declined the full scale of certain other repairs. Anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Should You Trust All Authorized Mercedes Service Centers?

I dont trust any of them. I think they are messing with u i'd contact MBUSA and tell them about it.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:22 PM

everything that is or has gone wrong is very common on that vehicle, the shifters go bad all the time, mostly from people spilling liquids (soada, coffe, beer,ect.) around the shifter and it seeps down into the electrical circuit of the shifter, even if fluid was spilled months or years ago. the stop lamp or brake switches are always going bad as well. every time u press the brake voltage is constantly going through it and it gets voltage spikes sometimes and the contacts get bad after alot of heat in 16 months how often have u pressed the brake pedal. it was just a poor design that has been fixed. the mass air flow sensor was a problem during those years because there is a very this clear protective film over one of the sensing components, after enough heat exposer the film melts and drips onto the sensor and damages it. air flow sensors that have a serial number starting with 98,99,00,01 are usually the problem ones but others do fail as well. the engine you have in your vehicle is a 112 the upper oil pan and rear main seals are common problems around higher mileage some low mileage depending on the driver and if maintenence has been kept up. the vehicle may have been poorly maintained before u bought it. some of the common repairs are simple and can be done by the owner of the vehicle, others require too much in depth work and alot of special tools. i dont think u are being ripped off or scammed. it would take more take to rig up some of these problems than to fix them so it would not be worth it. if the vehicle starts and u still have trouble getting out of park untill u replace the selector module. there is a small plastic piece when u look at the shifter where the p-r-n-d is if push down on the plastic piece {it is spring loaded so it will flip back up when u take the small screwdriver out} press the screwdriver towards the front of the shifter, and move the shifter at the same time, it will come out of park. good luck

Old 09-19-2006, 09:26 PM

also if u think u are being ripped off always ask for the old part being replaced, feel free to email me if u continue to have problems that i may be able to help you with

Old 09-19-2006, 11:09 PM

Hey CarCar...take a deep breath and now, let it outttttttt.... WoooooSaaaaahhhhhhh!

That's why they're called Stealerships....

One heck of an experience, you're having.

My "opinion" is that you should be able to rely upon your MB Service Center to provide professional care of your vehicle, and I would go on record to say that most of them are very reputable and/or reliable...Most of them. However, as with anything, there is subject to be a bad apple in the bunch.

From the scenario that you've detailed, it appears that when you went to your service center, you were not explicit as what you wanted done. If you don't want them to perform the work, you have to tell them to "diagnose only - make no repairs until they consult with the customer." Be sure they write this on you service ticket.

In my area, the service center has long had a reputation for just fixing things, and give you the bill. Then I learned that you have to be "specific and explicit" when you deal with the service center. Because Mercedes are not well-known for "fixing" things, but have a huge reputation for "replacing" everything! The mindset is...if you can afford to own a Mercedes, you can afford to pay for maintenance and/or repairs and replacements. Don't ask "how much it will cost", just ask, "how much is my bill!"

As for tampering with the vehicle so as to render it unsafe is illegal in the US. I don't believe that a mechanic worth his weight would tamper with your vehicle just to get your business. There are too many Mercedes owners out there. And to threaten a career or reputation by sabotaging someone's vehicle just to get the business does not sound like Mercedes. But anything is possible.

From now on, it would behoove you to be very detailed as to what exactly you want done, or checked out. Be sure to state that they are to contact you "before" doing any work, and to provide an estimate of cost.

If you just say, "my car is acting funny, please check it out", that's an open invite to correct the problem and return your vehicle.

When I go to the service center, I am very explicit about what I want checked. And I also tell them to inform me of what they find "before" any work or repairs are done. I also stipulate, that if they repair anything without consulting me first, I am not liable for payment; because, I required that they consult me before any repairs are done. I've never had a problem with them doing anything to the contrary.

But if you give them a blank check, they will fill it in for you, and cash it!

I hope you're able to fair and recover well from this experience. Remember, be mindful of what you're saying to them, or asking them to do, or else you will continue to "pay" for not having done so! Chalk this up as a "lesson learned."

Old 09-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

That is the reason why when I take my car in for repairs, I tell them exactly what I want done, what needs to be done, and ask for the old part to be returned to me. Of course some them ask to diagnos and search for other potential problems and 99.9% of the time I turn down that offer.

I can't say that you can't trust authorized Mercedes shops but as with anything or any buisness, you always have your knuckleheads.

And never ever ever let them perform a repair outside of what you asked them to without them consulting you and make that clear to them. Some of them will try to be too nice and repair things that you didn't ask to "repair" and then a $100 repair bill ends up being a $800 repair bill just because the mechanic was trying to be "nice."

Also if I don't know how extensive or what exactly needs to be repaired (which is very rare.), I would ask them to do a diagnostic first and then tell me what needs to be done and we'll go from there. Sometimes it ends up being a easy DIY job that is expensive in a shop but easy in the driveway and then I act accordingly.

You got to be careful.

And never say "my car is acting funny, will you check it out (or fix it.)" You are asking for trouble. They might just totally "restore" your vehicle even if it has nothing to do with it "acting funny."

Old 10-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what to do. I never get out for less than $3000. I try do little things like brakes etc, but The problems are ALWAYS with the fuel injection, which has brought the cost of driving the car to nearly a dollar per mile.

blue

Old 10-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

ask to "repair" and then a $100 repair bill ends up being a $800 repair bill just because the mechanic was trying to be "nice."
Had a brake problem and needed a battery hold down. The hold down was $50, brake fix was free. Gotta love how they'll find something to make the cost $864 [:@][&o]

Personally, I don't trust anyone to work on my vehicle anymore besides people who I know and myself. There are just too many dealership stories out there and too many complaints. To be honest, without diagnostic codes, I don't think mechanics really would have a clue what they're doing.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

No they wouldnt thats y i get the codes and do it myself.