Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Read an interesting article tonight

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Default Read an interesting article tonight

in Auto Week. It started out talking about how cars and motorcycles today, are getting noisier with straight pipes and such, which according to the author adds to the stress of driving in general. He went on to talk about the carnage on American highways, as people in this country are probably the worse in the world. And with the noise pollution growing on the roars the carnage is getting worse.

I was talking to one of my students last night and the subject was the terrible state of our highways, in this country. I said in Germany if there is a pothole in the road, they don't fill it they replace the whole section of roadway. Then I added inagine what our highways would look like if our government opened up some of the interstates to no speed limits, the body count would surely "decrease the surplus population" to quote the famous words of Mr Scrooge.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Default RE: Read an interesting article tonight

Do loud noises necessarily cause stress, or are they a cause of distraction?

Real life apparently contradicts your classroom musings.

From a Study...

In 1999, after 4 years of no numerical or posted daytime speed limit on these classifications of highways, outside of urban areas, Montana recorded its lowest fatality rate.

For the last 5 months of no daytime limits in Montana, the period after its Supreme Court had ruled that the Reasonable and Prudent law was unconstitutional, reported fatal accident rate declined to a record low. Fixed speed limits were reinstated on Memorial Day weekend 1999. Since then, fatal accidents have begun to rise again

The study on the effects of no daytime speed limits in Montana is clear. Traffic safety, if anything, actually improved without posted limits or massive enforcement efforts. Highway safety wasn't compromised nor can the lowest fatality rates recorded in modern times be ignored.
The only argument is whether Montana drivers are representative of drivers in America.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

but maybe in germany they also don't allow roaring vehicle in autobahn.

i only see in the tv that in USA they have intended places for modified engines to drag or race.

in my country, you cannot run modified engines on the road. it must be on the trailer.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

In Germany, it's not about the roaring cars on the autobahn, you're cool once yo make it there, but you can be stopped and ticketed and shut down before and or after you exit, that is if you manage somehow to make it to the Autobahn.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

And if you get into an accident and you was going over 130kph, you are at fault for the accident and your insurance can get get canceled or voided. That's why the recommended speed is 130kph. Anything above that is your own risk, but they have way fewer accidents than thye do in the states, but when they do, bring a shovel.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:02 PM

The worst roads are in Missouri. There is no road with potholes in Missouri. TV stations around Kansas City area always talk about mismanagement and shortcoming of MoDOT. On the other side of the state line, in Overland Park, it breaks my heart to see workers digging up seemingly good roads and pave them every year.

I used to write essays and articles passionately about how unAmerican to have speed limits on our roads. As I grow older, I a kind of starting to understand metro traffic is easier to manage (be managed) if there is consistency. That's why it is reasonable and logical to have no speed limit only on highways in Montana....as there are barely any cars.....and thus there is no need for consistency or uniformity.

Though we use the word "free" everytime we speak of America, most of us have not noticed that we have the most enforced restrictions (laws, rules, regulations, statutes, acts, guidelines, and such) in the world. Some of them are in accordance with the Constitution while many others are not. But the fact and matter is -- they still exist. WE MUST NOT FORGET THAT.

More and more cities are installing red-light cameras to send tickets to the owners of the vehicles that ran a red light. This is a classic example of a violation of the constitution. In America, the system works in a way that only the government prosecutor has the burden to prove beyond doubt that the accused is guilty. THE ACCUSED DOES NOT HAVE TO COME AND PROVE THAT HE/SHE IS INNOCENT. In red-light camera case, they are issuing tickets to the owner of the vehicle, not the driver of the vehicle. Many times, the spouse, a son, or a friend drives the car and now the owner has to go to the court and prove that he or she is innocent.

Oh....I have something to say about the loudness of a vehicle. Some males think, all other things being equal, the louder a vehicle's exhaust noise, the more powerful it is. In my opinion, it is a primitive trait of primates lacking sophistication to understand that the loud noise does not necessarily attract females or deter other males. Heads may turn....but in short, you are not gonna get laid because your exhause lacks muffler or the silencer. The same kind of people lack the ability to understand or appreciate comfort. Some of them may still be in a rebellious mode. Those people will never enjoy an AMG S65. They'd rather drive a loud vehicle, preferrably unprotected from the weather, like a motor-cycle, or an old Shelby....across the Nevada desert.

When there is freedom, people have a choice to do good things or bad things. (Yes, lack of enforcemnt is a sort of freedom for all practical purposes.) I don't understand...why overwhelming majority would rather do bad....such as throwing stones at a passerby train. Or driving a loud motorcycle. Not to mention doing some cocaine.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:11 PM

The point in Montana is that a speed limit was absent on certain highways, not that they have fewer cars in the state. Certainly, even in Montana, you wouldn't lift the speed limit in urban areas where you need "consistency" to control traffic flow. You're not claiming that the Autobahn has bumper-to-bumper traffic, are you? Yeah, I didn't think so. On the contrary, where there's no speed limit it's kinda like the highways in Montana, and, well... you figure it out. I know you can.

High-performance exhausts are loud. It's not a caveman trait to have a loud exhaust. If you want the highest performance exhaust it is going to be loud. Even the S65 can be made to go faster with a free-flowing exhaust, which would be loud. Do they have quiet race cars where you grew up?

Old 03-22-2006, 03:28 PM

Sorry Lug. Where monkey man grew up, there was no cars much less quiet race cars. There were only caves and trees, so you would hop trees for transportation.

I am also sorry that I did not know mufflers were restricting the flow of air and thus choking the performance of the engine. Learned something new everyday! Today I learned from a nut....I meant a lug....ooops I meant Lugnut.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:48 PM

Don't be sorry. Just get out of the forest so you can see the trees.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

This sounds just like how every argument for pushing high density housing (to concentrate tax base for urban areas) and public transportation starts. I'll pass.

The loud vehicle issue hits Harley's (and similar) in the teeth. If someone would come up with a muffler system that gave the same performance as a tuned open exhaust, I would buy it.

Quick Reply: Read an interesting article tonight