Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Mercedes-Benz Club of America?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Default Mercedes-Benz Club of America?

Anyone a memeber? There are a few Benz in my area that sport the MBCA stickers and i figured i would look into it. I never have been into the whole "car club" idea of things, i like to live off my own ideas about my car. Anyone have any input for me? Im interested... scary enough.

Matt

Old 01-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Default RE: Mercedes-Benz Club of America?

It's not scary -- it's a magazine subscription. Check it out.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:09 AM

I've looked into MBCA membership, but it seems like you don't get any real value out of it.

When I had the BMW, I was (actually I still am... for 5 more months) a BMWCCA (Car Club of America) member. And with them you had local Chapters with a lot of events going, monthly magazine subscription, and the most important thing was that the membership card gave you 10-15% off of parts and some labor at the Dealership and at participating independent shops. Now that was worth the $40/year.

With MBCA... eh, just an expensive magazine subscription

Old 01-20-2006, 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: unknown

Anyone a memeber? There are a few Benz in my area that sport the MBCA stickers and i figured i would look into it. I never have been into the whole "car club" idea of things, i like to live off my own ideas about my car. Anyone have any input for me? Im interested... scary enough.

Matt
I have been a member for 4 plus years. They also published The STAR with loads of technical information. They have technical staff that will help you with most Mercedes problems, published reprints on DIY projects. I found out how the ACC worked in my 79 450SLC. Had it fixed by a club member very, very reasonable, and was also given install instructions and troublshooting. Which cam in very handy as these Servo systems are complicated at best. It is worth the $35.00 membership, IMHO.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:44 PM

40$ per year for a magazine? No meets? Just a magazine?

Matt

Old 01-24-2006, 01:22 PM

The individual chapters have meets, plant tours, etc. Every year there is the annual meeting there are all sorts of events you can register and drive in, car shows, etc. Also, the technical information you get free access to is worh the $40

Old 01-26-2006, 10:28 PM

I'm not worried about the "technical" aspects of anything, im a mechanic, i thought that you would get a discount on parts or something... get to be social more than once a yr, other than the forum.

Matt

Old 01-27-2006, 12:47 AM

Well, MB owners as a group, never were too sociable. As I said before, if you want a group of enthisiasts, who hang out all the time, do cool stuff and interact, get a BMW.

Even by demographics, BMW owners are much younger than the MB owners. Mostly because of the totally different approaches that the two companies take. One is big on luxury and the other is big on performance, therefore attracting totally different crowds.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:49 AM

Yeah, but the Mercedes crowd is much more diverse. There's a whole bunch of diesel nuts driving around in Benzes, as an example.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: unknown

I'm not worried about the "technical" aspects of anything, im a mechanic, i thought that you would get a discount on parts or something... get to be social more than once a yr, other than the forum.

Matt
If you are a member of MBCA most if not all dealers offer a 15% to 20% discount on parts. No discount on labor. but, the parts discount is excellent IMHO. I figured last year I saved the membership fee with 4 parts purchases at my local dealer. I have been to two Mercedes social events and the people ar friendly, no snobs. they are are helpful as you all when it comes to questions and fixes. I also, participated in a concours event this past summer and won best everyday driven car award. I tried to enter the salon race, but when I walked up to the registration table with my cane, they would let me register. Which if you think about it is a good thing. So whatever negatives you have heard don't apply here in New England or on the National Forum. I had a legal problem with my employer last year and one of the members on the board is a lawyer. He handled the whole thing for me for free.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz Club of America?