Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

MB Losing Ground?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default MB Losing Ground?

Do any of you think MB is losing ground as being a luxury car? Lexus's flag-ship is comparable pricewise to the S600, however the S600 doesn't park itself, it doesn't have executive style seating, it doesn't have as much wheel base, it doesn't have much of anything compared to some of the cars that are out now. What's with Mercedes lately? I thought they were supposed to be a brand leader and it seems like they're only stuck on an Hp war with a few other companies....

Old 09-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: MB Losing Ground?

Not to mention reliability compared to lexus, Infinity, or BMW

Old 09-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

I think we all know where i stand on this.

https://mercedesforum.com/m_43199/tm.htm

And even more this one

https://mercedesforum.com/m_37051/tm.htm

Old 09-14-2006, 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: AMGMercedes

Do any of you think MB is losing ground as being a luxury car? Lexus's flag-ship is comparable pricewise to the S600, however the S600 doesn't park itself, it doesn't have executive style seating, it doesn't have as much wheel base, it doesn't have much of anything compared to some of the cars that are out now. What's with Mercedes lately? I thought they were supposed to be a brand leader and it seems like they're only stuck on an Hp war with a few other companies....
...It doesn't have over 100 years of tradition, style and craftsmanship... OK, craftsmanship is taking a hit everywhere because of just plain laziness and lack of customer service.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

...and I'm not buying any more rice-grinder-disposable cars with fancy badges, no matter what crap some car magazine says about 'um. OK, I feel better.

MB, fix your image!

Old 09-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Thats y i own ones from the 80s and what can i say i just bought that Audi mainly cause i needed AWD and there was no way i was buying an ML.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Did all the guys from the 80s MBZ era die, retire, or got fired?
As much as I love MBZ and stuff, even I must admit that the other brands are catching up. Still, despite what all them so called expert magazines say, ain't no way I'm going to believe some inflated priced rebadged rice burner is the best luxury car. But the main thing is that it's not even that it's a rebadged rice burner. It's just that it feels like a Toyota. It doesn't have a feel and or personality of it's own.

The reality though is that MBZ needs to find itself. back in the day, what like in 1980/81(US) thw W126 had features and option that was basically unheard of at the time. 1983 or 84 airbags. Name any other car that had airbags back in 1984 let alone 1986? standard Four disc brakes, ABS, and the size of the 560SEL outside the Fleetwood and Town Car? Nothing came close to MBZ back in the day as far as features and techno. It was in the world of it's own innovative. All they had to worry about was BMW. Then Lexus came. At first it still couldn't hold a light to it as far as techno. Now it seems to have gotten stale or something. There are cars out there with even more features than the MBZ. At one point in time, that was basically unheard of. My, how times as changed.

The style is there, the tradition, the horsepower is still there, but features... I don't know what's going on but I hope that MBZ fix the image.

(And as MBZ300SDL said, that's why I bought one from the 80s, when the engineers ruled.)

Old 09-18-2006, 09:40 PM

Might sound ignorant but what does/do the lexus you are all talking about have to offer that MB doesnt?

And i hope your not talking about the lame "park assist?" Looks like a differntly displayed parktronic.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

My point is that I think that MBZ is starting to blend in with the "everyday" crowd. I mean even low end cars have features that are once only found in high end cars like MBZ and such. Now many things you can find in a MBZ, you can find in a well equipped Toyota. Only things that are missing is glitchy almost useless things like parktronic, which the consumer must pay a bundle for. II hope it don't get to a point where there is no difference between cars besides the name and badges.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Might sound ignorant but what does/do the lexus you are all talking about have to offer that MB doesnt?
Park tronic simply alerts the driver when there's something behind you, Lexus's car actually parks itself and has a version of park tronic built in. It also has Toyota reliability, something MB has been losing recently. There's the executive seating on the Lexus, it's one of the most stream-lined cars in the world...and the list goes on. MB can't even standardize xeon headlamps. I love mercedes, but it shouldn't be a comparison like "what does this car have that MB doesn't?" MB should blow everyone out of the water like they were doing.

Quick Reply: MB Losing Ground?