Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

I got fired, while i was on VACATION!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Default I got fired, while i was on VACATION!

Okay, you guys wll get a kick out of this.

I am a mechanic and have been since i was old enough to put a car on a lift. I have multiple certificaions and know what im going...

Anyways, i went to Florida to visit family for the holiday and i cam back home ready to hit work last Saturday when i show up, my tool box had been moved to the back of the shop... there it is... a NOTE... yes, you heard me, a NOTE was on my box telling me that they needed all of their property back... I was f**kin pissed, i had been there for nearly 7months and felt that i had done everything in my power to stay there for many years... my boss had other ideas. I had to wait for two days to talk to him about his reasoning on firing me... "well, you were just filling in untill we found someone with more certifications..." I wish i would have been let in on it... I talked to my friend taht worked there and everybody thought it was BS how i got let go and everyone is affraid of taking a vacation now... i also heard two of 5 people turned in there 2 weeks too... I am gonna sit on unenployment for a while and i filed with the better buisiness burea too, he owed me 7days of vacation pay from when i was out of town... NEVER GOT IT!

Matt

P.S. As stated in other post, my 87 300e is in the rebuild process, full Eibach kit (lowered, anti roll kit, struts), a 4matic conversion with a 3.2l DOHC motor from a 92 320e, new kick panels with paint... should have all the mechanical stuff done my July... Take care...

Old 01-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I got fired, while i was on VACATION!

and how long were you gone to florida? there must be some mis-understanding.

management got problem in dealing with people. before making any actions, they need to justify it by talking to you.

now i know the reason why MB/TECHMAN always keep AK47 and RPG.

keep it up Matt.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:12 AM

By Federal law a company can't fire you with cause, whether there a " at will" company or union. You were given a reason, But letting you go without notice is very iffy legally. I know I have been involved with the labor act, and won't a case against my company, when they tried to let me go as I was handicapped. There high priced lawyer tried to get around the labor and hanicapped laws, by stating they are a " at will" company, which means they can hire and hire anyone, anytime, without cause. However, the labor act doesn't say that, you have to be given proper notice, and not surpised like you were. I would get a good labor attorney, some will work contingencee fees, that is if they win they get a percentage, if not you pay nothing. I won $31,000 in back pay and my job back. If you low on funds most cities have legal aid, where lawyers will work for low fee or low contingences. However, the one thing you did not mention, did you have a contract with this company and was there a trail period of employment, which could mean, if you didn't live up to their expectation, that would be all the "cause" they need. Labor laws are complicated at best, and over the past decade, they have favored the employer more and more. One other point, how many employees does this company have. Usually companies with less then 25 employees are not subject to most labor laws, except outright discrimination, physical disabilities and some other points.

I worked on a salary based on bi monthly pay, and end of the month commissions, back in October, the company deducted almost $800 in "bad debt" from the salesforces commissions. I called my lawyer and he is going to ligation. There is a fine line here. If I were paid salary and straight commission, that is commission without taxes being taken out and payed my own taxes, the company could get away with this bad debt practice. However, thru no choice of my own. My salary and monthly commissions ar payed on regular payroll checks and taxes and beneifts are taken out, thus making it a salary "package". The Labor Act clearly states that only legal deductions, and list them, taxes, medical, fica, ss etc are the only deductions that can be made from a person salary. In my case, the state I live in follows the same federal laws and I am entitled to triple damages when we win. As my lawyer said this is clear cut in my present case, and he is going for the triple damages. In conclusion if you want to "fight" this get all your information together and see a labor lawyer. They usuall don't charge for the first visit and a honest lawyer will tell you upfront if you have a case or not.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:47 AM

the reason is always the same , you cost more for him. so he was looking for cheaper man.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:34 PM

Did you take the manager's daughter out and **** her off?

Old 01-07-2006, 01:55 PM

Mr.Unknown has my sympathy, as anyone -- who lost his/her job for any reason -- would.

However, none of us should pass opinions here because we do NOT get to hear both sides of the matter.

We do not know whether Mr.Unknown's employer
[ul][*] was trying to be cheap[*] was just mean[*] has a reason to doubt unknown's quality of work[*] decided unknown has problems with customers[*] found out wheels fell off from the last car unknown worked on[*] is facing banckruptcy[*] had a crush on unknown, but unknown did not respond
[/ul]

Old 01-08-2006, 07:35 AM

a man (if he is one) takes the employee in the office and tells him if has something on him.not fired him when was away.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:35 PM

At least you should have no problem winning your unemplyoment case if he contsts it.

I agree with that other guy that we don't get to hear both sides of the story, but I've certainly seen a lot of business owners/managers who treat their employees just like this. Hopefully the unemployment will be enough to live off of; enjoy the time off.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

I always walk the person to the edge of the property, thank them for their service, hand them their last check and wish them best of luck in there future (since today IS their unlucky day). Buck up. Getting fired is one of the most important lessons learned during your career. Try to enjoy it.

As to suing to get a job back. WHY would you want to work there again after the way you were treated. NEVER give THEM a second chance. All that does is give them time to treat you like **** and buys them time to find your replacement. A dignity free job, like shoveling out the out house.

A law suit is appropriate to regain your financial losses. You may be better off spending your time letting go of your anger and searching for a new employer. This topic is definitely off limits for the interview process as you will look like a cry baby.

Your employer is part of your family (and you most likely see more of them then your own). Get references, talk to employees, look at there future prospects and interview them like you would a new date before you accept a new job.

Damn, I love being self employed!

Old 01-09-2006, 01:34 PM

I always walk the person to the edge of the property, thank them for their service, hand them their last check and wish them best of luck in there future.
Whaaa? You don't kick them in their *** or slam the door on their *** or do something to their ***?

Quick Reply: I got fired, while i was on VACATION!