Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Going back to College.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Default Going back to College.

As some of you may know these past few years I have taking College courses at the local community college to finish my degree that I should of done many years ago, but didn't. I know what your thinking. A man 3 kids a wife, 3 Mercedes, 2 homes. Why go back to College? Well as a kid when I graduated High School took College classes, worked, sent over seas and came back and started to invest into realestate and stocks while working at Ford Motor Co. I eventually started buying and selling yearly and in 1980 I got into the wholesale flower buisness(Son runs it now) and My wife opened her own hair/tanning salon. Still I havnt finished College and for the past couple years I hae been going back. Now I am only 10credits away from graduating. I just made my schedule today and I have to take an acting class as an elective. The thing is I have always had a passion for acting and have been told by many that I am good at it. I just never acted on it. Not saying I could have lived a better life. I have done most of what I have dreamed of doing. I just feel with a College Education I could of had it all at a younger age.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Going back to College.

Go for it. 10 credits is so close. Do it for yourself; do it for closure.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:08 PM

It is so close but yet so far away. The thing is that I can realy only do once class at time between that family,2 businesses and owning apt buildings it becomes a lot. I should be all set by next year. I am even taking summer classes also.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

I think it is a good plan to only take what youcan manage.

Blue

Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM

Also I have had people ask me while there."Are you going to get a job after this"? I told them it isnt for a job or money. It is for self purpose. Just to say that I achieved such and such.....

Old 11-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Well that is a good thing. Because that was one of two motivations for me to go, and the degree simply fell short of accomplishing anything in that regard. Less than ten students out-ranked me in undergrad, and fewer than that inBusiness Law. In an average economy, there would have been top employers interested. But in the new-world George Bush idiocracy, there were none, and probably because large and small businesses are failing faster than the paperwork can be completed,andtwenty-five of the 30 companies in the Dow are flatlining. So I guess no one needs an executive business manager or Lawyer right now. I went back to what I was doing before I began college. I feel quite under-employed, after being a business owner and executive, but hey from what I see, Im not the only "nobody" in this country.

Blue

Old 11-21-2008, 05:51 PM

It is great to see older people going back. I was talking about that today with someone. I even made a promise that when I Graduate(Funny saying that at my age) I would buy myself a car as a gift to myself. Unfortuantly when I am in the classroom I see a large amount of youth who just dont understand life at all. Not all of them. But there are just some people who just drive me nuts listening to them talk about their future and how they dont know what kind of job to get. But my God do they know every weekend what Bar they are going to.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Ha Ha, I think Im going to revert back to that way of thinking LOL.

Blue

Old 11-22-2008, 02:29 PM

Blue I noticed that you where a Lawyer? Is that correct? What type of law?

Old 11-23-2008, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that was my mid-aged return to school endeavor, contract and business law. I didntgo to "hang a shingle" and start my own small firm like divorce attorneys or criminal lawyers.If I had spent my youth as a safety officer,or detective, it would be the right course, but I spent my youth as an engineer working in aerospace and defense, so my logical path was corporate staff attorney work, involving government contracts, vendor agreements, enforceability, liabilty, compliance, regualtory, and negotiations etc. I was in the perfect position in the US aerospace industry, and needed a Law degree to take the next step, but had to take leave to finish my program, and that really ticked them off, and things were never the same. Right after school, Iworked for a property Law firm, but in this economy, it had shifted its focus from RE sales contract agreements and easements, to foreclosures, REOs etc, and I really hated it and resigned. Also, I have learned you lose a great deal ofcareer equity, when you changespecialization.I am back in aerospace now,working for the German aerospace industryand I think they are begining tosee my strength. In the future, when I get too old to show up every day, I may "hang a shingle", but right now I actually like being a part of larger society.

Quick Reply: Going back to College.