Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
66.67%
No
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Do you believe oil companies are gouging consumers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Default Do you believe oil companies are gouging consumers?

How much profit is too much profit? Don't get me wrong, I'm a capitalist, however, I wonder if we don't have too few big oil companies colluding to set prices? If not, explain why their profits are at an all time high, while our cost at the pump is at an all time high?

Old 05-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Do you believe oil companies are gouging consumers?

Yes oil companies are gouging, but it's business and I'd do the same. There's no such thing as too much profit. They may just roll in money or be saving it for future business when they switch to hydrogen/*

Old 05-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Gouging no taking advantage of a legitamate limited supply situtation yes.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

I say something is fishy. I don't think it's gouging in a classic sense but something is very fishy.

Now I was oding some research and came across some article about the alternate fuels and stuff. Now the ysay with that corn stuff, it will cost less than a dollar a gallon. Now they wonder if the big oil would play fair. By what the comments that the big oil have quoted saying, the corn alternate fuel has potential to cut into thier profits and potential killing some of them in a few years. Now, there was a quote by a big oil company rep. and he said that the corn alternate fuel people should be careful because, " They can always lower the price of gas whenever they want."
Hm with statements like that in not one but a few articles seem to be meaning that the big oil can lower gas prices if they chose to but why would they? Thier pockets are getting fat at an accelerated rate. They toppled wal-mart off the top. Why give the American people a break? If they want they can. I hope they hurry with this corn fuel because I think this would seriously lower prices for gas. If not, oil companies would definately die and them rich folk that invested billions don't want that and I think they would kill to keep em out of thier pockets.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Sugar is actually a cheaper source of the ethanol but because of the power of the corn lobby in Washington thats all u hear about.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

yeah you are right. Is't that what they are and or starting to usein S.America? And it sells for like 65-75 cents a gallon? Good old sugar cane. Wait, that could solve the problem. And alternate fuel while putting less strain on the corn as the anti -corn alternative fuel people say.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

I believe the oil companies have been purchasing alternative fuel patents and shelving them until they are ready to use them...protecting their investments in current technology.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

probably

Old 05-17-2006, 12:51 PM

I believe the oil companies have been purchasing alternative fuel patents and shelving them until they are ready to use them...protecting their investments in current technology.
This is probably true and unfortunate for the consumer.