Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Complain about iDrive here

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Default RE: Complain about iDrive here

Interesting.

I used to have an '89 T-Bird SC with a flight data recorder. Well, until the darn thing landed...

Old 11-21-2005, 01:10 AM

I agree I do not like the looks of the E-Series. Just too classic for me. I would go for a 5-Series instead of the E.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: sleepwalker
The excellent ergonomics and intuitive controls mean that the
driver is far less likely to be distracted from what is happening
on the road.
Bull!

Let's take a Honda Accord, a proven much-loved 4-door family sedan for an example. Volume control is a clear and clean **** that driver can turn up or down without looking at any menu. No clicks to go through. "Tuning" is also a clear, simple, and dedicated UP/DOWN switch (that eventually becomes +/- buttons in the newer models). "Eject" was also a simple switch. There are also very user-friendly and dedicated Ventilation Control switches. And yet Accord's controls are never considered CROWDED. How many steps do you have to do in a BMW with iDrive to Eject a disc or a tape?

How many freaking steps do I have to go through to adjust Bass and Treble in BMW iDrive? Don't I have to look at that screen and menu? Far less likely to be distracted from what is happening on the road? PLEASE!

I am sure the controls are PROPERLY categorized under rational sub menus. But, no driver should be made to go through any sub menus, no matter how appropriately they are grouped.

And here is my favorite question...is there a manual fan speed control, and how many steps do I have to go through?

If I get to meet that committee that designed & approved iDrive, I am taking my shoes off and give them a bitch-slap on their face. Also...will tattoo on their forehead "Short-sighted Smart-*** Moron"!

Old 11-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

that's why i find their design funny.

the fan speed is manual.