Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Bird Flu

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Default Bird Flu

What's going to happen with the bird flu? Anyone getting a little ancy or anything?

The US government is conducting some scary "what if" scenarios if it spreads to the US as a pandemic. Gauging by how upset many people became over the Patriot Act and how it affects our civil rights, this will flip them out and into a protest frenzy. The govenment will attempt to contain any outbreaks by using special quarantine powers, enforced by federal troops. They also plan to take control of the National Guards from the states during a quarantine. I can't see federal troops, under these special circimstances, being very tolerant of civil protestors. Sounds ominous. I wonder which will cause the higher death toll? The bird flu or the federal troops?

Old 11-16-2005, 01:44 AM
Default RE: Bird Flu

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

What's going to happen with the bird flu? Anyone getting a little ancy or anything?

The US government is conducting some scary "what if" scenarios if it spreads to the US as a pandemic. Gauging by how upset many people became over the Patriot Act and how it affects our civil rights, this will flip them out and into a protest frenzy. The govenment will attempt to contain any outbreaks by using special quarantine powers, enforced by federal troops. They also plan to take control of the National Guards from the states during a quarantine. I can't see federal troops, under these special circimstances, being very tolerant of civil protestors. Sounds ominous. I wonder which will cause the higher death toll? The bird flu or the federal troops?
Here in Thailand only the English language newspapers are worried about it. The Thai papers hardly touch the subject...even though we are closer to the source.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:22 AM

Maybe they don't want to scare anyone. Or maybe it's just old news that no wants to hear. Didn't a few people in Thailand die last year of the bird flu? This is a new more deadly strain, though.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

in china they conceal the truth about it.

even more than a hundred people already died, they say less than 10.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:42 AM

Supposively, since I work in a hotel for business travelers, I am supposed to be wearing latex gloves, and a paint mask while I am working so I don't get the "bird flu", but the hotel hasn't done or said anything about us having to do so yet...so I guess we will see what happens.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:59 AM

The mask should be an N95 mask at minimum. I don't think a painter's mask will offer much protection. Better would be an FFP3 respirator. Both look kinda like a painter's mask, but offer much better filtering against viruses.

Why the gloves? It's better to keep your hands clean and avoid touching your face. The gloves may transmit the virus once they get contaminated. The virus will enter your body through your mouth or nose.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:17 PM

Lugnut, I meant to say one of those masks that looks like a painters mask. It was late! Haha.

I don't know why the gloves. Probably since I am handling their glasses, etc. Pouring them drinks, handling food, I can contaminate others if I come in contact with the bacteria. So, it's more for their protection than my own.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:34 PM

Yeah, but if the gloves become contaminated you'll spread the virus if you don't wash the gloves. It's easier to wash your hands, I would think. You'd get lizard hands after awhile. Or, change gloves very often.

I'm not sure if it even transmits by gloves or hands. It may be that it's only airborne. Like someone would have to sneeze towards your face. I don't know for sure, though.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:41 AM

Yeah, I don't really know either. I just posted what I was told I am supposed to be wearing to take precautions.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:41 PM

wow thats alot of people who have passed away

Symbolic Sport